Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone on XP 64bit?

And if so, how's it workin'?

Any driver issues (unnavailability/compatibility/functionality)?

If so, with what devices?
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

I'm using it on a notebook, mainly for the 4gb of ram (XP32 only detects 3GB ). There wasn't any point in installing Vista 64, even though the 9500M GS is DX10, I don't think it could handle games well.

As for drivers, main system devices (chipset, hdd controllers, audio, video, LAN...) shouldn't be a problem. Scanners, printers, webcams and other usb devices are another story, you should check for availability before installing.
    Right now I don't have drivers installed for the webcam and bluetooth, not that I did a thorough search to find them.

Comment

It's same codebase as 2003 x64 so a lot of stuff should work, maybe not peripherals, and lowend printers. But most motherboards, chipsets, GPUs should.

Comment

I'll be using it with pretty much brand new hardware, so it shouldn't be a problem.
        (X48 board, Q9450, Nvidia 9 series)
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Main driver hassle for me is only on tv/cature cards only, I don't know of any with 64bit drivers.

apart from that it is good.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
            .........so a lot of stuff should work, maybe not peripherals, and lowend printers. But most motherboards, chipsets, GPUs should.

I second that.

No problems on a 2 months old build, P35 Chipset MB.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

I'm running Vista x64 at the moment, and have little trouble except for the docking/video issues on this laptop - which are indemic to the laptop and not specific Vista 64 issues.

Server 2008 x64 also works well.

I'm happy to hear XP 64 is looking better nowadays...
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
                Main driver hassle for me is only on tv/cature cards only, I don't know of any with 64bit drivers.

apart from that it is good.

Dscaler has version that works on 64bit OSes. There's also 64bit build of http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

(funny how those good old bt848 (and derivatives) cards are still the best choice...)

Comment

Well... I'm still undecided between 64bit XP and Vista 64... and I might have a shiny new CPU sitting at my house when I get home...

Comment

Well Vista 64 ... everything works. XP 64? Not so much. It's "better" but not better. If you get my meaning.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

time for a poll!

Comment

I personally dislike Vista a great deal. When I got a deal on an extra 2gb of ram for my system I tried out xp x64 on my desktop so I could use more than just 3gb. It just worked for the most part. However, I had issues getting my soundcard (Chaintech AV-710) where I could only get 2.0 sound out of my 5.1 speakers. That and dvd playback was... interesting. It worked on the main screen ok but I couldn't get it to work on the secondary. Usually turning off overlay fixed that for me in XP x86 but not with x64.

I've contemplated going the Workstation 2008 route Link but haven't made that jump just yet. Here are the things they haven't gotten to work right yet. another link. Though most of those I don't care about that much. That and the cost of running basically a server OS on your desktop.
                        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                          I personally dislike Vista a great deal. When I got a deal on an extra 2gb of ram for my system I tried out xp x64 on my desktop so I could use more than just 3gb. It just worked for the most part. However, I had issues getting my soundcard (Chaintech AV-710) where I could only get 2.0 sound out of my 5.1 speakers. That and dvd playback was... interesting. It worked on the main screen ok but I couldn't get it to work on the secondary. Usually turning off overlay fixed that for me in XP x86 but not with x64.

I've contemplated going the Workstation 2008 route Link but haven't made that jump just yet. Here are the things they haven't gotten to work right yet. another link. Though most of those I don't care about that much. That and the cost of running basically a server OS on your desktop.
                          Except that running "Workstation 2008" is the same as running Vista x64 with some things turned off. *snicker*

No, seriously.

Comment

You've said that before.. any links or proof? Not being snide I'd just like to see something definite on that.
                            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Go to any site that has instructions on making a "workstation 2008" setup, and read the comments. About halfway in you'll find TONS of information detailing it.

The question is - build up? Or strip down? I vote for the latter in this case, primarily because you CAN'T build up certain bits. Power management is problematic, as well as media support. Not to mention programs that just REFUSE to install on a server.

But the proof is in the pudding, as it were. We run identical machines here, mine is Vista x64 and my co-worker's is Workstation 2008 x64. They run pretty much indentically once you get everything set up... only mine docks and undocks properly, has working sleep mode, and plays videos and games. *grin*

Comment

Working...
                              X