DVD and surround sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD and surround sound.

OK, I know this might not be the best forum for this question, but you guys haven't let me down yet...

Just installed a Pioneer 114 DVD drive to my Celeron300A@464, ASUS-P2BF, 128MB, G400MAX, Creative AWE32 system, and bought a copy of the Matrix DVD. (Thanks for all the DVD-ROM suggestions...)

The DVD works fine (except for the special features in MatroxDVD; I'll work on that later), but I have a surround sound question.

I've got the audio/video going into my old (4 years; ancient by today's standards) Sony Pro-Logic receiver. I don't seem to be getting any rear channel audio. I have selected the 'Surround Compatible' option in the Matrox DVD Control Panel, but no change.

I expected the Dolby Digital on the Matrix DVD to be backward compatible with Pro Logic. Was this a wrong assumption? Or might I have a setup problem someplace?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave....

Your sound card need to support this option if you want it to work... If I am not mistaken the AWE 32 does not since it only has 1 speaker out. At best you would get stereo X2 but not surround...

Comment

You're right..not the best forum for this.
      Ant is trying very hard to get this place organised. That's why he made more forums, and set up more moderators.

General Hardware is where you will find this thread...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I didn't think a new sound card would be necessary, since ProLogic has surround info encoded in only 2-channels.

The Matrox DVD software is supposed to be able to (by my understanding) downmix the AC3 audio to 2-channel surround encoded with the 'Surround Compatible' checkbox in the configutation utility.

Since this is basically a MatroxDVD software question, I think this thread does kina belong in the Matrox Hardware forum, but I won't argue with the moderator.

Has anyone had success with the downmixing 'Surround Compatible' option?

Comment

The 'Special Features' section will not work on my poineer 114 DVD drive either, even tried the bios upgrade with no luck....

Haven't got a pro logic amp so can't help with the sound problem.. sorry.
          AthlonXP 1700+@1900+(1.59GHz) on Abit KG7, 512Mb DDRram, Elsa Gladiac 920, SB 128 pci, ADI microscan 17in monitor, Pioneer 6x dvd rom,Ricoh7083CDRW, 56k modem

Comment

it still says that Divicore will use the sound card functionnality... not the speakers... I still hold to my previous asumption... you sound card is responsible... Divicore contact and send the info depending on your sound card capabilities... if it doesn't take surround, it will send stereo signal.

Comment

I use the surround downmixing option, and it works perfectly. Even better: the channel seperation has never been this great, almost no more leakage! Hooray for DVD

Haven't tried it with the Matrix yet but with about 10 other titles, works perfectly.

Oh and ofcourse you only need a regular stereo soundcard for Dolby (ProLogic) Surround. Dolby DIGITAL (sometimes mistakenly refered to as 'dts') is the one that needs a special digital out.

Comment

you have wacked up the rear speaker volume from your amp? you have dolby surround and not dolby 3ch enabled on the amp?

Using dvd region changer you have selected 48000hz sound sample rate? and selected prologic output? sound compression amplified?

my ancient (7years) kenwood surround works brill but i always have the rear speakers way up loud.

------------------
                p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 14gb ibm 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Rear speaker volume is cranked. Receiver is set for ProLogic.

48000Hz selected. ProLogic selected. Tried sound compression normal, attenuated, amplified, and compressed; none give rear channels, but only compressed gives 'acceptable' audio quality.

Comment

Now, I freely admit to little knowlege about this but I have a question:
                    The Matrox DVD software is supposed to be able to (by my understanding) downmix the AC3 audio to 2-channel surround encoded with the 'Surround Compatible' checkbox in the configuration utility.
                    Would not the purpose of such a "downmixing" be to enable one to play better quality audio on only 2 speakers, rather than 4 or 5 as Dolby Pro-Logic or Dolby Digital require?

It seems to me that if you had a 4 speaker soundcard and 4 speakers, the DVD sound would just play as if it was Pro-Logic without the need for any adjustments. But if you had a 2-speaker soundcard (as you do) and only 2 speakers-- or even a 4-speaker soundcard but only 2 speakers-- said "downmixing" would be required to remix the sound into stereo, otherwise the software wouldn't know where to send too many of the out-of-channel sounds.

Again, I could be totally wrong, and please correct me if I am, but I think the system is performing correctly for what you've asked it.

You should get a 4-speaker soundcard, though... I can't see how an AWE32 could send info it can't even process (the rear channel info) to your receiver....

------------------
                    Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 12 December 1999).]

Comment

The trick with ProLogic is that although it 'drives' 5 speakers, the signal is only 2 channel. The ProLogic system was developed in the 80's, and has been used for TV broadcast, videotapes, etc. The surround-field data is 'encoded' in standard left/right stereo channels and only becomes 'surround' when this 2-channel signal is 'decoded' by a ProLogic decoder.

If no ProLogic decoder exists in the amplifier, the signal behaves as a standard stereo (left and right) signal. Basically, the decoder works by evaluating signal 'offsets' in the left and right channel signals, and separating and blending across the 5 ProLogic speaker outputs.

As far as 'I can't see how an AWE32 could send info it can't even process', it's not an issue since the 'info' is basically just a standard stereo signal, so there's no special processing required, all the AWE32 has to do is pass this 'stereo' signal out the line out into my ProLogic receiver.

There's a bunch more info on ProLogic and how it works at Dolby's site at http://www.dolby.com/tech/whtppr.html if anyone is curious.

That's my take on the whole thing, but I don't claim to be an expert on the subject either. I just want my DVD to give comperable sound to a VHS tape.

[This message has been edited by dwood (edited 12 December 1999).]

Comment

are you getting no rear sound at all? even with a non surround source there should be something coming from the rears. There isn't a direct source or bypass on the amp is there?
                        1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

anything coming from the centre?
                          1st system

System 2

system 3

System 4

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Center channel works fine.

No sound at all from the rears. If I turn off the front speakers (incl. center) and REALLY crank the volume, I can make out a bit of noise from the rears.

The same ProLogic receiver works great for ProLogic encoded VHS tapes through my VCR, and also for TV programming.

It seems like the MatroxDVD player is doing a good job of 'separating' the front channel signals for encoding (that's why no crossover from front to rear), but is dropping or ignoring the rear channel info and encoding 'silence' for the rear.

Comment

sily question. you are getting a stereo signal through your cable? a mono signal will give loads through the front channel (mainly centre) but the rears will get nothing.

we will crack this!
                              1st system

System 2

system 3

System 4

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Working...
                              X