Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular Rebooting Servers (RHEL5 vs Windows)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular Rebooting Servers (RHEL5 vs Windows)

Hi all,

In the past we've regularly rebooted our application servers (Win2k and Win2k3) every week or even every night to ensure a clean environment for critical apps/DBs. Now we're moving to RHEL5 is this still a good idea or is it even detrimental?

Cheers,
    Steve

We went to Linux for our Oracle database server last year.
    It runs Oracle Linux, but that's just RH with some artwork changed.
    We thought we could get away from our weekly reboots once we got on Linux.
    No way.
    Linux got even weirder than Windows after about a month.
    So it's back to once a week reboots, which is really not a big deal to us.
    The Linux version of Oracle DB EE runs much faster than the windows version though.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Uh... I haven't rebooted a Win2k3 server out-of-cycle in... honestly, years now.

Now there are monthly patches, admittedly.

But some of the servers have run continuously for a couple years without a reboot. No problems to be found.

Linux, on the other hand...
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

It really depends on what its doing. Citrix servers... you should reboot them weekly. DB servers it depends on the db. VMware servers... probably no since all it does is take and give memory and resources to the virtual servers... which from what I've seen play nice. As for the normal file/print server. I can't tell you how much better Linux cleans up after itself than a windows server.

So... its a big maybe. review what your server's roles are and research if they have memory leaks or if they gracefully handle a program crash. Also, linux auto-cleans the tmp directories on reboot. If you aren't rebooting have you configured it to auto clean them on a regular basis? Some distros do, some don't out of the box.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

We only reboot for patching and service issues (such as terminal services dying ... again). We're a pure MS shop, except our VMware ESX servers which are VMware Linux.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It's a rare day we boot a Windows Server for anything these days, out-of-cycle. Even with all of the MS Updates, we don't reboot more than once a month... this month's updates (05/08) did not require a reboot.

Anytime we reboot part of a Windows Cluster it is a major deal; we have a playbook to follow: customer notifications, etc...

Now, we have been very hard on our software and hardware vendors to give us gear that is up to snuff: We capture dumps on every software failure we see now as a matter of policy. It really does help narrowing down where the problems are - and most importantly, how to get them fixed.

Quite a few times we find that otherwise unexplained software problems can be a predictor of hardware failure: a minidump can usually pinpoint the problem when we "play it back". Most of the times it just finds a flaw in the software - dump analysis is still more art than science - more experience using the tools against a piece of code usually results in quicker resolution: some software is easy to debug, others can be a real nightmare.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I have to reboot SBS boxes about once a month otherwise they run over RAM (1-2GB for older ones) and services start failing. I have only one Debian FTP server and I just patch it without rebooting.

Comment

Remember this...

... we have been very hard on our software and hardware vendors to give us gear that is up to snuff: We capture dumps on every software failure we see now as a matter of policy. It really does help narrowing down where the problems are - and most importantly, how to get them fixed.
                As you revisit this...

I have to reboot SBS boxes about once a month otherwise they run over RAM (1-2GB for older ones) and services start failing. I have only one Debian FTP server and I just patch it without rebooting.
                If you are rebooting SBS for memory leaks, you have what I would consider major software problems. It never hurts to hold your vendor's accountable.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Well, looks like we will be rebooting the new RHEL5 environments nightly! The vendor's software has proven to fail to shutdown itself (or even be manually killed) regularly and it takes a reboot to clear. Just like Windows then

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post

SBS is an evil thing. It's attractive to small businesses because of MS's licensing model, but people routinely run it on 1-2GB servers when it's running:

- Active Directory
                    - Exchange
                    - Fileshares
                    - Printer Sharing
                    - SQL
                    - Backup

ALL AT THE SAME TIME. And you wonder why it runs slowly/poorly!

However... that said... it shouldn't be having memory leaks. That's a problem. Fix it.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Well, I think it's mainly due to McAfee, Groupshield and Backup Exec + proprietary accounting app tacked on top of that on 1-2GB boxes.

Comment

Narrow it down: look at pagefaults, handles and committed RAM... you should be able to find the culprit.

It's probably not McAfee: as much as I dislike their products, It's what I am most familiar with troubleshooting professionally.

Not familiar with the other two...but anytime you say "custom or proprietary" I shiver...

Comment

McAfee can't run on the same server as Exchange. Period. It's a known bug they're still working on as of a month ago.

Comment

I will disagree with that statement; I will qualify that we do have McAfee Engineers in the building. And we have run McAfee and Exchange for over 9 years...

Comment

Isn't McAfee Engineer an oxymoron
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X