Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Inappropriate" prom invite?

Link....

High School Lacrosse team suspended after spelling prom invitation on bare bottoms

by Jeff Arnold | The Ann Arbor News

Kristoff Wennersten figured his prom proposal had to be one-of-a-kind if it would have any chance of being accepted.

But the Huron High School senior never imagined it would result in a suspension for himself and 12 of his varsity lacrosse teammates, whom he recruited to help spell out the message at a school soccer match via their derrieres.

The players displayed the question, "Will You Go To The Prom With Me? Yes or No?" on their posteriors while mooning Huron senior Carolyn Campbell at a game.

All 13 players were suspended for a undetermined number of games and ordered to complete 20 hours of community service.

The students were also suspended for one day of school. Huron's lacrosse matches, scheduled for this past Saturday and Monday, were postponed.

"Inappropriate is inappropriate," Huron athletic director Dottie Davis said Monday after meeting with lacrosse varsity players and their parents. "It disrespects women, and that's the clear message we need to have the students understand - what may be fun to them isn't necessarily fun to everyone else."

Campbell, who accepted the prom invitation by patting the lower back of the player displaying the word 'Yes,' described Wennersten's method as "cute" and said she wasn't upset by the manner in which she was asked.

"People get pretty creative with prom. Anyone who's done anything has been pretty outlandish," Campbell said. "This is pretty epic, I would say.

"I didn't think it would become this big of a deal."

Neither did Wennersten, who said the idea was more "spur of the moment" than anything.

Originally, his friends suggested a sign. But Wennersten pushed for a grander plan.
    After serving his one-day school suspension Friday, Wennersten said he understands why he and his teammates were disciplined.

"I can appreciate the fact that (school officials) need to exercise a certain amount of punishment just to follow the rules, but I think they may have stretched it out of proportion," he said. "It was just something to do.

"I enjoyed every bit of it."

The prom proposal, which took place during a Huron junior varsity soccer match Thursday night, has drawn attention in Huron's hallways.

Most students said they found the proposal humorous and thought school officials blew it out of proportion.

But Davis said she has heard from parents offended by the incident.

Carolyn's mother, Melinda, said she and her husband were stunned when their daughter informed them of Wennersten's prom invitation.

"It's hard to know what to do," Melinda Campbell said. "It just happened. I hate to say, 'No harm, no foul' because some people were harmed. But it has certainly caused a lot of excitement."

Karen Van Eck, whose sophomore son, Forrest, plays for Huron's junior varsity lacrosse team, wasn't among those upset. But she said she saw the need for punishment.

"Some very nice kids made a really bad choice," Van Eck said. "I think it all boils down to respect. Who wants a bunch of boys with their butts hanging out (representing the school)? They had to do something."

Davis, who hasn't yet decided the length of the players' suspension, said she hopes other students learn from the incident.

"We're always preaching educational athletics," she said. "So we'll deal with it, move on and hope it doesn't happen again."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Would it be inappropriate for the athletic director to take that stick out of her ass?

Comment

IMO that's what's needed. School officials are taking this kind of stuff way too seriously IMO.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm not sure if they really want to take this instance too seriously...perhaps they're also thinking "if we let this pass, what's next?"...

Comment

Hopefully streaking by the girls track & volleyball teams
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Reminds of computer game concept that nobody wants to realise, so I guess I have to do it myself some day...

You play random streaker (is that a word or am I making things up?) disrupting some football (soccer for you, Doc) game. First the arbiters, then players, then finally audience chase you (the goal beeing "to not get cought as long as possible"). Everything happens to the soundtrack of Benny Hill ending music :>

Comment

I'm fully aware that "football" to other than North Americans means soccer

I like the scenario as long as the streaker has a set of 38D's
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

With Benny Hill, IIRC, it'd be loads of damsels with 38D chasing Benny, so I guess the game will be you running from masses of cute girls size 38D. No wonder the game won't fly
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Nah, only music/animation of movement will be lifted from Benny Hill

Actually...38D might be in higher difficulty level :>

(crap, the whole thing is crystallising...(for example: bonus points for scoring goal ), I'm starting to be afraid that I'll actually do something with the idea/waste huge amounts of time )

Comment

Working...
                  X