HD DVD's demise not helping BR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD DVD's demise not helping BR

Oopsie....if that 2013 date is correct it looks like an opening for alternatives.

Analyst: HD DVD demise hasn't meant scramble for Blu-ray

By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology Writer

(AP) -- Sales of Blu-ray disc players haven't been helped by maker Toshiba's capitulation over producing the rival HD DVD format, research firm NPD Group said Wednesday.
    Toshiba announced on Feb. 19 that it would stop making HD DVD players, already doomed by Warner Bros. Entertainment's announcement Jan. 4 that it was dropping HD DVD to focus on Blu-ray.

Sales of Blu-ray players, excluding PlayStation 3 game consoles, dropped 40 percent from January to February in the U.S., according to NPD. Sales grew only 2 percent from February to March. The firm didn't release numbers of players sold.

"When we surveyed consumers late last year, an overwhelming number of them said they weren't investing in a new next-generation player because their old DVD player worked well and next-generation players were too expensive," said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis at NPD. "It's clear from retail sales that those consumer sentiments are still holding true."

While DVD players cost less than $100, Blu-ray players generally cost $400 or more.

Another factor that may be holding back sales of Blu-ray players is that anticipated models with Internet connectivity haven't hit the market yet. Current models can't be upgraded.

But sales of PS3s seem to be recovering, perhaps with help from their built-in Blu-ray players. Sony Corp. sold 257,120 units in the U.S. in March, nearly doubling last year's figure.

Another firm, ABI Research, estimates that PS3s will account for more than 85 percent of Blu-ray players in use this year and that the number of stand-alone players and Blu-ray-equipped PCs won't surpass them until 2013.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I am hanging out to get a BR player , BUTwith DVD disk prices finally at a place where they should have been 5 years ago, BR disk so expensive and a few of the BR's that I want to buy not available in my region they are shooting themselves in the foot with their usual crap....I want to buy, but they are doing there best to convince me not to.

Comment

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for something like "HDSD" or some other tech as we described in another post, doesn't it?
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The format war ended and player prices jumped what ... 25% overnight? Yeah, when they get their $#!* together and figure out that just becasue they won the battle they haven't won the war, then I'll buy.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

...plus, the retail pricing is prohibitive

Comment

I agree, the current prices of Blu-Ray set top players are outragous!

Comment

Its not the player's prices that are keeping me away, its the prices of the damn movies! I buy most of my DVDs previously viewed at 8-12$ tops. No way I'm shelling out 30-40 for a Blu-Ray disc.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Ditto.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hmm seems like digital distribution is going to catch up faster than many anticipated:
                  Apple Newsroom is the source for news about Apple. Read press releases, get updates, watch video and download images.

and with a similar deal for amazon

Comment

What I don't get is why they don't start staggering release schedules....

E.g.

January - Movie Release
                    February - Blu-Ray release
                    May - DVD-Release / Download Release.

Or maybe the companies just aren't interested in doing that.

Comment

Most North American ISPs are still at least 5 years away from being able to support the mass bandwidth needed for digital downloads. It really doesn't matter if digital downloads are offered or not, or how cheap, etc. It would be like trying to drive to the store to buy a movie with 24/7 gridlock. Pointless. You COULD walk there (ie slowwww downloads), but who wants to do that?
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                      X