What is eating my memory ?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is eating my memory ?!!

I have 196 megs of ram in my system. Using the system monitor tool, I've noticed that on a cold boot, I have about 95 Megs of physical memory in use?! The disk cache is at 32, so that leaves 60 megs of memory unnacounted for at startup!

The only background program I have running is a virus checker, and when I quit that I only gain about 1 or 2 megs back. System monitor shows swapfile usage at 0, so this is real, honest to goodness sdram being used up.

Now, you can,t tell me that windows 98 is taking up these 60 megs, how would people run it with 64 (let alone 32) megs? What is going on here?

BTW, this is after I turned off all soundfont memory allocated by my sb-live

SYSTEM:
    asus p2b
    celeron 400a
    196 megs ram
    matrox g400
    sblive value
    d-link ethernet card
    maxtor 11 & 4 gig drives
    pioneer 6x DVD
    hp-8200 cd burner

If you have SiSoft Sandra ( http://fosi.da.ru )installed you can check it by using the processes module! Have you tried cacheman it can save you a lot of memory? You can grab it at http://www.outertech.com

------------------
    PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 11 December 1999).]
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Windows 98 (and I beleive Win95 is where it started), dynamicaly alocated memory to your disk cache. The more you have available (total - in use) the greated you disk cache size. So it will show most of your memory in use at any time.
      When you open an app that needs more memory than is free at the time, Windows will shrink the cache to provide it.

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Comment

Mark, I have my disk cache fixed at 32 megs by using the min & max vcache setting in the system.ini. I verified this with system monitor, it shows my disk cache memory at 32 megs, and my total memory allocated at 97 megs. So I'm pretty sure that its not the disk cache that is taking that extra 60 megs or so.

Guru, I'm going to try Sandra and see what I can find out.

Comment

Ok, just ran Sandra. I killed as many tasks as I could before I ran it. The program shows:

192 total physical memory
          115 free physical memory

so that means 77 megs in use.
          77 minus 32 for disk cache = 45 megs.

The strange thing is, the memory taken up by all processes is reported as 26 megs. That means with everything accounted for (Including windows) there is still about 20 phantom megs? Not as bad as I first thought, but if its not being used by any processes, what else could be using it?

Comment

Try FreeMem Professional Version 4.2 you can find it at http://www.meikel.com

s/n: 392971868074
            (ups how did that get there?)

------------------
            PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Watch for ICQ!

Its loads all history into memory when you start up! And the history files are very uncommpressed and un-optimized

Just check that, it was killing me!
              5 megs free at start up!

------------------
              PIII 450 @ 464
              generic BX6 motherboard
              G400 MAX : )
              Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
              Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
              Creative 36x CD-ROM
              HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
              64 megs PC100 RAM
              Intel 10/100
              Soundblaster 32 AWE
              DiamondMAX 56k
              Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
              1 92mm Sunon Fan
              4 80mm Sunon Fan's
              <a href="http://www.tweak3d.net">www.tweak3d.net</a>

Comment

Working...
              X