Best PPGA to Slot 1 converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best PPGA to Slot 1 converter?

Since the price of a Celeron 466 has dropped to ridiculouly low levels, ($68! WOOHOO!) I've been pondering the purchase of one to replace my P2 300. My motherboard is an AOpen AX6B. Recommendations for a PPGA to Slot 1 converter requested.

Also: If I do get the Celeron, how much of a performance improvement will I gain, roughly?

Gracias.

------------------
    Kenlon
    "I am. All else is negotiable."
    Kenlon

http://bxboards.com/iwill370ii.shtml

Although I have no experience with this Slocket, it is the first slocket that is supposed to be Coppermine socket compatible. In other words, you can buy it now and slap your socket 370 celeron on it. Then once the socket 370 (or whatever they call it) versions of the coppermine CPU comes out, and drops down to an affordable cost, you can slap that on the same slocket and away you go.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ah, but this is not really a long term investment. . .in the end, I hope to go to a
      PIII 500E overclocked higher. . .I was hoping for something cheap.

------------------
      Kenlon
      Kenlon

Comment

ABIT makes a good one! www.abit.com.tw

------------------
        PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I have Abit converter and it has worked ok. And what comes to speed improvement: You should see guite a leap upwards. (at least if you manage clock your celery to 583 (with 83 bus) ) .

J.
          -J-

Comment

Kenlon,

1) The PIII 500E IS a socket 370 PIII. So unles you want to get a socket based mobo for your 500E, get the Slocket II.

2) The Slocket II does have all overclocking and dually capabilites already built into it.

3) Cost? I have no clue how much, but I doubt it will cost more than $25 USD. Which would make it a fairly wise investment, IMHO.

If you still don't want to go the Slocket II route, which is understandable since other slockets are cheaper, I will make a few recommendations. ASUS, Abit and IWill (their normal Slocket) make good ones. I believe AOpen makes one (never used it). If they do you may want to look into it for compatibilities sake.

Jammrock

------------------
            PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Kenlon,

I use MSI dual slotkets for both of my Celeron 366s that I overclock to 550.

The dual slotkets version comes with clips to secure your chip better than the regular version.

If you're using an Inwin case or a case where the power supply is really close to the chip then the MSI is a good choice b/c it's real short.

Comment

I agree with Eric B, use the MSI-6905 Dual (£10)

i use this with my celery 400a @500 does do 600 with level 1 cache off!!!! Doh!

A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
                Custom Heatsink/Globalwinfan setup
                128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
                I-Will Slocket2
                PIII Coppermine 500e@690 FSB 138
                Windows98SE
                Matrox G400 32 D/H (Latest drivers)
                Soundblaster 1024 Live @3.0 drivers
                8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
                6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
                MS Intell/Explorer USB
                Pioneer 6/32x DVD