Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell rules the 24" roost again?

Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP [PC Pro]
    COMPANY: Dell PRICE: £388 (£456 inc VAT)
    RATING: ISSUE: 165 DATE: Apr 08

Verdict: Stunning image quality and every feature imaginable on a TFT, and the price is just about affordable too.

Hot on the heels of last month's superb Samsung SyncMaster 245T comes another superior S-PVA monitor, this time from Dell. The Ultrasharp 2408WFP uses the same panel type, with TrueColor Technology allowing it to display 110% of the NTSC colour gamut and 178-degree viewing angles on both axes. But best of all, it manages to do so at a price far below that of the expensive Samsung.

It's a progression from last year's 2407WFP-HC, a monitor we were hugely impressed with, so it was no surprise to find this new model performed just as well in our DisplayMate tests. Smooth gradients and neutral greys were as expected, and we could easily distinguish even the lightest grey tones from the white background in our contrast tests.

The 400cd/m2 brightness rating means whites are brilliantly white, while the 1,300:1 basic contrast ratio is higher than the 1,000:1 of

ADVERTISEMENT

the vast majority of even large-format TFTs. The side effect of S-PVA technology is usually a slower response time, but we saw no evidence of blurring or ghosting with the Dell's 6ms panel. Games and videos were smooth and the slight over-saturation in colour really brought scenes to life; it'll need a bit of reining in for accurate photo editing, though.

Thankfully, making the necessary tweaks won't be a chore as Dell's on-screen menus are a joy to use, relying on clear image and text labels, a clear layout and a wealth of options. Source images can be displayed pixel-for-pixel or stretched to fit; it supports picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture modes, and the depth of colour and picture control is tremendous.

The design is essentially the same as the 2407WFP, with a 10cm height-adjustable stand and four USB ports shared between the rear and the side for easy access. A card reader for all the major formats also sits on the left edge. The video inputs now include HDMI, and a pair of DVI ports adds flexibility. Dell has also included DisplayPort, something we're increasingly seeing on new TFTs, though the first compatible output devices have yet to appear.

There are cheaper 24in TFTs on the market - Samsung's SyncMaster 245B is the best of the bargain bunch - but the Dell is the first high-end 24in display that finds that perfect blend of quality and price. It's as good as the Samsung 245T, yet it's £200 cheaper, and for that reason alone it's now our large-format monitor of choice.

By David Bayon

SPECIFICATIONS:
    24in S-PVA TFT, 1,920 x 1,200 resolution, 6ms response time, 400cd/m2 brightness, 1,300:1 contrast ratio (3,000:1 dynamic), HDMI, DisplayPort, 2 x DVI-D with HDCP, VGA, component, composite, S-Video, 4-port USB hub, 3yr on-site warranty; 560 x 208 x 397-497mm (WDH); 9.6kg.
    FT.

The superb Samsung 245T. Mmm it ain't that superb as it suffers from bad ghosting when gaming. Worries me that reviewers don't pick this up. I've heard the Dell doesn't suffer from this but will wait for for further reviews.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'd rather get Lenovo L220X, 1920x1200, MVA panel, 22" and unlike Dell that thing was actually designed.

Comment

Interesting. I haven't seen a 24" monitor in a while that has those multiple inputs. My four year old 23" HP2335 does and it's been quite useful. I don't see anything about the scaling capabilities of this monitor. I would want to make sure that it supports 1:1 pixel mapping and zoom with original aspect ratio.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well the review is kind of dissapointing, especially when they mention that S-PVA has a slower response time.
          DisplayPort is a joke... essentially useless next to HDMI.

Comment

The inputs I'm interested in are S-Video, composite, and component on top of DVI-D. HDMI/HDCP is interesting for possible future support but I don't need it currently.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
            X