Vista is finished!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista is finished!

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

Microsoft is breaking the cycle at least a year early. They have seen the light that Vista is not the answer. I'd better start saving for terabyte drives for all my computers, so that I can install "Windows 7"!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

wtf am i supposed to do with this expensive dusty copy of vista that never would install on my computer Nooooow
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Ebay, before it is too late!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hopefully they'll get it right this time.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If you guys seriously think that Windows 7 isn't just XP to Vista's 2000, you're cracked. This will be Vista with a bunch of bug fixes that they can't do in a service pack - probably rolling back to a previous codebase - plus support for mobility and new interfaces.

This won't be some lean, mean, trim OS or anything like that.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I would disagree with everything you put in the above post, Gurm.

How our TAMs described Windows 7 was that of a modular OS: the same installation media can be used for CF-based embedded operating system all the way to a high end workstation. The server variant will also be configured to run as a low end SOHO NAS, all the way up to an enterprise cluster.

The licensing model is... interesting.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

While I might have thought the same about Windows 7 - that it would be the modular OS Microsoft has been promising for years - with new supposed release timeframe, I'm less than sure. Lending the idea some credence is that MS has already been working on it for some time, but history shows us that MS just isn't good about keeping release dates (however wide-open they may be) while also keeping announced feature-sets intact.

We'll see. Honestly, while I'm a big fan of OS X, I'd love a modern version of Windows that doesn't suck that I'd be more likely to use at work.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

A lot of other companies are coming out with modular software including my company. I should say we have already come out with modular software but it is in its infancy. MS will most likely follow suit.
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The devil will be in the cost of licensing the extra modules you need. It'd be a pain to pay $300 for the core OS then have to pay another $200 for a multimedia authoring toolkit
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ideally, one would be able to opt-out and customize the OS and related software that one needs in much the same way one would customize the hardware, without having so much "trial" software bundled in. And less of that manufacturer-installed "assistant" crap. That garbage can really soak up resources. I'm looking at you, HP.

(You too, Dell.)

Kevin

Comment

You'd be surprised. Server 2008 is supposed to be "modular" as well, but that's a big ol' letdown.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I said "ideally."

Anyway, it sounds like they are rushing ahead on the next-gen OS at the expense of Vista support. Freeze both Vista and XP at their current level of support and push forward with The Next Big Thing. Much like they did with 98 & ME. If Vista is that big a flop, it puts a lot of pressure on MS to get the next one right. Could they survive another such failure?

Kevin

Comment

Just give me more games on linux and it's bye bye windows.
                          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I think 2008 is rather modular. Bloated, well it is Microsoft Windows... but modular none-the-less.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

If Adobe etc. were to start issuing their video/multimedia wares for Linux I'd dump Windows so fast it would violate special relativity

VISTA: Very Inadequate System, Try Another

First order of the day: slipstream SATA drivers into an XP Pro install disc. A guy who purchased the same computer says that after ditching Vista for XP Pro his went from sluggish to downright zippy.

Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825

Best Buy has them on sale for $450 USD

Not a super-hot laptop, but more than adequate for our remote shoots and (so far) some quite quick rendering.
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 April 2008, 21:45.
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X