Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new coffee pot!

I need a new coffee pot!

Ok, here's the story. For years, I've simply owned one cheap-ass "Mr. Coffee" coffeepot after another. They're ridiculously predictable. One scoop for every two cups of water. If you want stronger coffee, use rounded scoops. If you want boring coffee, use flat scoops.

I can take the $20 Mr. Coffee, add 3 scoops of Starbucks that I ground myself, and make fan-damn-tastic coffee every single time.

So the problem? They keep breaking. They aren't built very well - what do you expect for $20? Also, the decanters tend to drip when pouring (bad design). So I had just resigned myself to buying a new one every couple years.

Only lately it's been much more often. The one I had - which was the basic $20 model - was left on, and the coffee burnt on. Ugh. Ok fine, time for a new one. Bought the $30 model, which is EXACTLY the same only it has auto shut-off. Fine. But that one only lasted like 3 months and then started leaking all over the place.

Since then, I've gone through half a dozen coffeepots.

Julie said "buy a nice one". So I did. Bought a $60 Mr. Coffee with brew strength, warmer controls, etc.

And it made horrible coffee. I played with the strength setting, and finally made a STRONG cup of coffee. It tasted like the ass end of a dog, but it was strong. Great. Back it went!

Then I got a Cuisinart Grind 'n' Brew. Cost $100. Grinds beans, drops them into the hopper, and brews in 5 minutes.

AND TASTES LIKE ASS.

So I returned it. Tried another higher-end Mr. Coffee. Also crap.

Repaired the original one. Used it for another month, now it has permanently expired.

So today I went out and bought another Cuisinart, but not the grindy kind. Just the high-end industrial-looking Cuisinart.

And the coffee, while BETTER than the terrible stuff from the Grind-n-Brew... is marginal. Nowhere NEAR as good as I expect.

Julie is sick of me buying coffeepots. She says I'm a coffee snob. I ask how I can be a coffee snob when I PREFER THE CHEAP POT?

The problem is I want easy - I'm none too coherent at 5AM, so while I'm tempted to get a French Press, I just want to put the coffee in and hit "on".

I have theories as to why these ones are bad. Perhaps the drip pattern is bad. Perhaps they brew too quickly. Perhaps ... it's hard to say. Perhaps many things.

Can anyone recommend a GOOD coffee pot? Seriously, if it's good I'm willing to pay money here.

And last thought - don't EVEN recommend a coffee pod or Keurig system. If I wanted a power-extruded single serving of overly-strong-to-make-it-have-any-flavor-at-all brew, I'd just use instant. *ugh*
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

switch to Kona

Try the Pearl (pele)or the Panda in dark.

Comment

No specific advice here, but have you ever tried a good, old-fashioned percolator?

Kevin

Comment

It's not coffee unless it's espresso.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

it's not coffee unless you are eating chocolate dipped coffee beans.

if you don't like mocha you can just munch on the beans like peanuts
          /meow
          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Asus Striker ][
          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

yes i'm a caffiene junkie

hmmm.. now i'm having images of chocolate chip cookies made with coffee beans instead of chocolate.

or rice crispies squares made with coffee... or even mixed in with some pudding or jello.

/meow
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
            Asus Striker ][
            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

B&D makes a couple that consumers likes and are in the $ range
              Attached Files

Comment

Turkish coffee served in shotglass sized cups.
                It's not coffee unless you can stand a spoon straight up in it.
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

And strain the grounds through your teeth.

Kevin

Comment

I've had good luck with Capresso. We bought one years ago which uses a plastic thermal carafe. I don't see it on their site so I assume they don't make it any more. This is a drip coffe system. We use a gold filter instead of paper filters (never have to worry about running out of filters). The gold filter leaves a little more sediment in the coffee but some would argue that they produce a better cup than with paper filters. I like the thermal carafe because it keeps the coffee quite hot rather than cooking the coffee on a warming burner.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I'm no coffee conaisseur but I make it in either two ways:
                      - with a perculator and espresso coffee (which I can buy in either beans for home-grinding or grinded on the spot)

- (about 2-3 teaspoons of) grinded coffee beans in paper filters in a plastic holder over which I pour boiling water, with the result of the coffee directly dripping into the cup. These aren't grinded coffee beans for espresso coffee but for arabic coffee.

Comment

Working...
                      X