X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote of the day

From a bright 10yo who clearly skipped a step:

"I know what synthetic flesh is, but what are synthetic phonics?"

Last edited by Fat Tone; 3 April 2008, 01:33. Reason: I can't type a damn!
    FT.

Ebonics?
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

no, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_phonics

We have some phonics flash cards for the littl'un. They have really really helped him. I do each word with him, in various ways depending on the mood etc, and then he uses that to continue a story of his making.

For example

book is learned as b|oo|k
      fork is learned as f|or|k

etc.

Anyway, Luke saw the description on the back of the box and came out with that. I just thought it would be good to have a thread of quotes
      FT.

Comment

Phonics are an intriguing idea, but sadly often push kids in the wrong direction.

The classic T-Shirt proclaiming:

Hukd awn fonniks werkd fer me!

Demonstrates the problems with the system.

Just read to your child a lot, go over letter sounds, and then teach them how the language actually works while they're still young.

And remember that different children are ready to read at different ages. Logan has known how to read since he was 2 but wouldn't admit it until he was 5. (Stubborn child!)

Jacob is 2.5 and will likely be 3 before he really wants to learn to read, although he's already interested in letters. But Logan was recognizing letters and their sounds at 1.5.

Then there are some of my friends' kids. Some of them were interested earlier, some later. Anything up to around 5 years old isn't "behind the curve". I think that overemphasis can be tricky.

But I make no personal judgments, you know your kid best!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm amazed there are no sarcy comments about why a 10yo would know what synthetic flesh is

As I've said before, my kids are very different, especially intellectually. Luke was writing stories about pterdactyls at age 5, and the teachers were virtually fighting over him. I didn't know what to make of Adam until recently, apart from that he was clearly more likely to play with a dinosaur than write about one. His teachers have put our minds at ease. He's not likely to need special attention, and is certainly making huge progress at school, and enjoying it too. I suspect his day nursery were failing him
          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
            I'm amazed there are no sarcy comments about why a 10yo would know what synthetic flesh is

As I've said before, my kids are very different, especially intellectually. Luke was writing stories about pterdactyls at age 5, and the teachers were virtually fighting over him. I didn't know what to make of Adam until recently, apart from that he was clearly more likely to play with a dinosaur than write about one. His teachers have put our minds at ease. He's not likely to need special attention, and is certainly making huge progress at school, and enjoying it too. I suspect his day nursery were failing him

Yeah, that sucks. It's CRITICAL to read to kids, to tell them stories, and to allow them to play in ways of their own choosing while still maintaining an encouraging atmosphere. I am no expert, but I have two bright boys and I know what ISN'T good, let's put it that way!
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
              Luke was writing stories about pterdactyls at age 5,
              Was his spelling better than his dad's? (Just kiddin' )
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post

Logan very matter-of-factly will inform anyone who listens that "there USED to be Brontosauruses but NOW they're called Apatosaurus" or "they USED to call them Pterodactyls, but now they're Pterosaurs!"

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                  Hehe, don't you think he got close enough for age 5?

Actually it was more phonetic, and I just can't type/spell
                  FT.

Comment

Working...
                  X