Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Logitech G5!

Check it out! Came in today.

Only two real differences from the old G5, the second thumb button, and the cracked blue design isn't just for looks, its grip!
    It was on sale at ncix for only $30 last week.
    (edit: the new one is the one on the right )
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

All that awesomeness, and their software STILL blows. When you can make it perform with the same acceleration characteristics as an Intellimouse, and yet have all the buttons work... let me know.

Seriously, I haven't upgraded from my MouseMan Wheel because it's PS/2 and I can lie to Windows and pretend it's an Intellimouse to get the thumb button to work, because Logitech's software just flat out BREAKS acceleration and scrolling.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

lol, i got that new G5 about 2~3 months ago
      of course the software isn't an issue for me
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

ummm... the G-series mice use the SetPoint software, which is very solid and very good. And yes, acceleration and scrolling work, work well, and work correctly. MouseWare software blew chewy chunks of day old vomit. SetPoint is actually worth the install, especially if you game, but you can't kill their custom hardware HAL process or it won't work right (the custom HAL is what allows up to 1000 polls per second and all the advanced mouse/game features).

I've been running SetPoint on both my M1000 and my G5 for years with little to no issues.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          ummm... the G-series mice use the SetPoint software, which is very solid and very good. And yes, acceleration and scrolling work, work well, and work correctly. MouseWare software blew chewy chunks of day old vomit. SetPoint is actually worth the install, especially if you game, but you can't kill their custom hardware HAL process or it won't work right (the custom HAL is what allows up to 1000 polls per second and all the advanced mouse/game features).

I've been running SetPoint on both my M1000 and my G5 for years with little to no issues.

I ran SetPoint on my laptop mouse, and ... let's see what was broken!

1. Scroll wheel. It not only didn't scroll the way it does with built-in drivers, and you couldn't in ANY WAY make it scroll like that, but after about 5 minutes it decided that it would scroll DIFFERENTLY up than down. So you can scroll one page per click up, and only 3 lines per click down. And the screenshots on the site and in the FAQ show a different setting for up and down... but there isn't one in SetPoint. ARGH!

2. Acceleration is plain ol' busted. Mouse zooms around like it's on crack. Great for twitch gaming, not so great for just... y'know... working Windows. There's NO combination of speed and acceleration sliders that even roughly approximates the default MS mouse settings.

Please, tell me that the latest version of SetPoint - which I downloaded - is somehow broken horribly and that the earlier versions are AWESOME or something? Because what I downloaded was almost as bad as the MouseWare upon which it was loosely based.

Honestly, I've simply NEVER seen good drivers from Logitech other than the drivers for their trackballs, which of course are different from mice in substantial ways.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I've had tons of problems with SetPoint on my Bluetooth DiNovo gear ever since XP SP2. MSFT included a bluetooth stack in SP2 and Logitech can't seem to figure out how to get their drivers to work with that stack or coexist with their own stack (Widcomm). Their support forums are full of praise for their wonderful drivers.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Works fine for me.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
                Works fine for me.

Really? How did you get it to work? I'm serious. What settings did you use? I install SetPoint and the mouse gets jumpy and zoomy - how did you get it back to "normal" speed? And how did you make the scroll wheel perform in a "normal" fashion?

Comment

All that works fine for me too...

Install the latest SetPoint, once installed it will look for updates and grab the latest conifg file for your mouse.

Open "Mouse and Keyboard Settings" (notification area icon will do). Go to the Mouse Game Settings tab, looks like a chess rook. There you can choose whether to use OS or SetPoint Acceleration. Honestly, I don't notice the difference betweent he two, but I'm polling 500 times per second at 1600 dpi, so that may be why You can play with that and see if one of those works for you.

Go the the middle tab, the pointer, and you cal play with the scroll wheel options, acceleration, smart move, etc.

The main tab will assign functions to the button. For the scroll wheel I use "Generic Button" and it uses the OS settings for the scroll wheel. You can play with that and "Auto Scroll" to see if one of those will fix the scrolling for you.

Hope that helps.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I recently bought the Logitech MX600 at Target for $40. It's pretty much identical to the 620 except for some buttons being different between the left click and hte thumb buttons (zoom and such), it also doesn't have the snazzy new microgear toggle on the bottom. I'm pretty sure this is the model you get with some of the keyboard combos.

What I like. It's the exact same shape as the old mouseman. It's laser and it's wireless. It's bigger than a MS Explorer but feels smaller in your hand. I haven't installed ANY of the software for it and it just worked out of the box on XP and the thumb buttons work. The VX Revolution I carry in my bag for my laptop works just as well. I almost didn't buy the mx600 since the VX works great as your primary mouse. It's a little small though to be my primary mouse, though normally I don't notice that either.
                    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Works fine right off the bat for me.

Comment

Got a G5 as well. Did try a Logitech G9 but it was a load of crap. Uncomfortable to hold is really a big problem when it comes to a mouse.
                        It seems like Logitech are moving away from the G5 design which is a pity as it's a very good design.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                          All that awesomeness, and their software STILL blows. When you can make it perform with the same acceleration characteristics as an Intellimouse, and yet have all the buttons work... let me know.

Seriously, I haven't upgraded from my MouseMan Wheel because it's PS/2 and I can lie to Windows and pretend it's an Intellimouse to get the thumb button to work, because Logitech's software just flat out BREAKS acceleration and scrolling.
                          well since MS mice are a disaster in HW quality these days (imo), I was forced to use Logitech (currently a MX400, which is _very_ nice, other than that the gliders attract dust a bit too much for my liking). Setpoint is the spawn of satan and all that stuff, a worthy successor to the evil that goes by the name of MouseWare (all imo of course). I've found a 'driver only' package (or did I make it myself? can't remember), and now my mouse works the same way as my MS Explorer 3.0 did with intellipoint.
                          Last edited by dZeus; 3 April 2008, 14:03.

Comment

Anyone ever try that leather MS mouse?

Comment

Working...
                            X