X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putin to push (again) for US-Russia tunnel

Link....

Bridge-building Vladimir Putin wants tunnel to US

VLADIMIR PUTIN, the Russian president, is to raise plans for a tunnel to link his country with America when he meets his US counterpart, George W Bush, next Sunday.

The 64-mile tunnel would run under the Bering Strait between Chukotka, in the Russian far east, and Alaska; the cost is estimated at £33 billion.

Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea football club and governor of Chukotka, has invested £80m in the world’s largest drill but has denied that it is linked with the development.

Proposals for such a tunnel were approved by Tsar Nicholas II in the early 20th century but were abandoned during the Soviet era. If finally built, the tunnel would allow rail connections between London and New York.

A Kremlin spokesman confirmed last week that Putin seeks to build “a real bridge” between Russia and America when he meets Bush at the Black Sea resort of Sochi.

Officials in Washington and Moscow view the talks as an opportunity to ease expected tensions about this week’s Nato summit in Romania. Clashes are expected over America’s planned missile defence system in eastern Europe and whether to allow Ukraine and Georgia into Nato.

Russia said last month that it would have to aim its own missiles at Ukraine if it joined Nato and hosted military facilities.

While Russia cannot block Nato membership, allies know that boosting links with the two former Soviet states would strain ties with Moscow – ties that are already damaged over the independence of Kosovo and the US missile shield.

Although Nato’s 26 members agree in principle that the future of Ukraine and Georgia lies within the alliance, some are wary of angering Russia, which provides a quarter of Europe’s natural gas.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wow! London to NYC by rail! If Heathrow's terminal 5 is anything to go by, it will be faster than by air!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It would still be quite a trip though....The Occident Express ??? lol
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

given how long the transib takes to cross russia alone, that it takes 4-5 days for cargo to go to china by train from germany I'd venture a guesstimate of 10 to 14 days.

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

It's 11 days and three trains from here to Vladivostok (Ljubljana -> Vienna -> Moscow -> Vladivostok). Hope I do the transsiberan one day.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 30 March 2008, 14:26.

Comment

That would be an awesome vacation just to take the train. Sadly American trains are NOTHING like European ones. This might change that a bit though and make the trip truly enjoyable.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

All you need is a motorbike!

Official website for the Long Way Round, Long Way Down and Long Way Up series following Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman as they travel the globe on two-wheels.
              FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                That would be an awesome vacation just to take the train. Sadly American trains are NOTHING like European ones. This might change that a bit though and make the trip truly enjoyable.
                Could you elaborate ?
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                X