X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THX chief scientist: SDHC 1, Blu-Ray 0

Link.....

Blu-ray 0, SDHC card 1, THX Chief Scientist predicts

Blu-ray Disc will never win mass appeal - we'll all be buying out HD movies on Flash cards instead. That, at least, is the verdict of THX Chief Scientist Laurie Fincham.

Fincham's comments come by way of UK magazine Home Cinema Choice, relayed by website DVD Town. Says Fincham: "I think it's too late for Blu-ray. I think consumers will only become interested in replacing DVD when HD movies becomes available on flash memory.

"By the time Blu-ray really finds a mass market, we will have 128GB cards," he says. "I would guess that getting studios to supply movies on media cards, or offer downloads, will be a lot easier than getting them to sign up to support a disc format.

"In the future I want to be able to carry four to five movies around with me in a wallet, or walk into a store and have someone copy me a movie to a USB device," Fincham forecasts. "Stores will like that idea, because it's all about having zero inventory. I don't want to take up shelf space with dozens of HD movies."

Fincham's words echo those of Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who this year said the future lies in downloads rather than physical media. Jobs has a reason to play down formats like Blu-ray: he sells downloads. But Fincham comes from the other end of the chain, the content producers, so his words perhaps carry more weight.

Of course, pundits have been forecasting in-store digital data transfers for years, first to CD then to solid-state media. As yet it's never taken off, largely because the process requires a computer to get content off the memory card and onto the TV. To make Fincham's vision reality, you need plenty of set-top boxes with suitable memory card slots and/or USB ports, in-store data transfer stations and the infrastructure to feed them with user-selectable content.

The infrastructure's there, but as yet the first two elements are conspicuous by their absence. Not so Blu-ray discs and players, so maybe the format does have some time to capture the public's imagination.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I believe flash will be expensive and will have a short life.
    Data integrity suffers in a flash card, just the nature of the beast. But whatever the case may be, it a cool media, small and compact.
    Now we need flash card based players

Comment

.. and they will need to come out with some funky new encryption before the studios will even consider this.
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
        .. and they will need to come out with some funky new encryption before the studios will even consider this.
        Which will be doomed to failure and everyone knows it. That's the damnedable part of this whole fiasco: DRM doesn't work, and in most cases doesn't even slow anyone down significantly.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

hey, no need to convince me, it's the studios who are thick headed
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I have a USB port on the front of my upscaling DVD player, its a bit buggy with files over 1Gb in size, but it otherwise works...
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

We have a USB port on the JVC LCDTV that works great, and it'll accept and use a card reader. No divx or mpeg support yet (images only), but it's a start. What's nice is that our Canon cams have a 3:2 mode that emulates the aspect ratio of 35mm film that works great with it. The 16:9 camera mode also looks great on the 1080 screen, though those pics have to be downscaled to fit the smaller format.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 March 2008, 11:00.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My JVC home theater has a USB port and supports DivX, XviD, WMV, WMA, MP3, and MPG. There are limits on the frame rate and resolution, but the upscaler is good enough that the picture doesn't look bad on my HDTV. It's not dscaler good, but it's good.

There's a DivX HD standard that you can get that will support HD content, but not many devices support it yet. But you could play HD content from disc or flash on such a device.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have the DivX HD codec and it works great. Can't wait to get a device that could send it to the HDTV's that supports DivX HD on SDHC.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm pretty sure my Panasonic DVD player/upscaler is DivX HD, it was one of my demands for the player...I have yet to try playing DivX HD content on it tho...
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

My parents' tv (Philips) has both a card reader, 2 usb ports AND an utp network connection. Combined with Philips server software, it is very easy to stream video, audio and photos from a PC to the TV. But as it turns out, Philips doesn't include an utp port on the new models; Philips rather sells a seperate box to achieve the same functionality.

Personally, I think that most people seem to like some physical media (but I could be wrong: people buy mp3 online as well). Memory cards seem the next logical step.

However, for online downloads of movies, the data limits by current service providers is still an issue (but then again, Belgium is expensive when it comes to broadband).

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                      X