Popular Mechanics 10 most prophetic SiFi flicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Mechanics 10 most prophetic SiFi flicks

Didn't these guys ever see Children of Men etc. ?

Link....

The 10 Most Prophetic Sci-Fi Movies Ever

When Arthur C. Clarke died last week at the age of 90, science fiction—hell, science in general—lost one of its greatest, most forward-looking masters. In his honor, PM’s resident geek and sci-fi buff analyzes the most eerily predictive, prescient films of the future. They’re not necessarily the best movies—just the ones that got the science right, or will sometime soon.
    10: 2001: a space odyssey. Hit: space tourism. Miss: AI. Undecided: videophones (ever hear of videoconferencing? )

9: Short Circuit. Hit: autonomous combat robots. Miss: lasers & AI.

8: Soylent Green. Hit: climate change. Miss: industrial cannibalism, overpopulation. Undecided: widespread government sanctioned suicide.

7: Blade Runner. Hit: urban development. Miss: replicants, off-world colonies. Undecided: flying cars.

6: The Running Man. Hit: reality TV. Miss: synthetic actors edited into phoney docu-footage.

5: Destination Moon. Hit: realistic spaceflight, commercial spaceflight. Miss: none. Undecided: nuclear rockets.

4: The Truman Show. Hit: reality TV, ever present hidden cameras (my addition). Miss: weather machine.

3: The Road Warrior. Hit: resource wars. Miss: flamethrowers - in a fuel starved world would you want weapons that use scarce resources?

2: Minority Report. Hit: display technologies, self-driving cars (far closer than most think). Miss: precognition, mag-lev cars. Undecided: jet packs, iris scans, e-paper (also closer than most think).

1: Gattaca. Hit: genetic profiling. Miss: virtually none. Undecided: manned exploration of the solar system.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 March 2008, 17:42.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Unless people stop having babies all together Children of Men isn't very prophetic. And my family is proof on how very fertile humanity still is. Though I do really like that flick.

I would add Akira (anime), personally. The miss would obviously be telekenetic powers and people flying, but many other aspects hit home in that flick. And it comes out on Blu-ray this summer
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Rather pathetic list in terms of analyzing what "predictions" are hits or misses. AI is listed as a miss more than once, yet just like many of the undecided items, it's actually getting there.

IF you want to get technical, a miss also can't be judged until the time-frame/era depicted in the movie has come. If a technology or trend isn't present then it is a miss (which would negate several of the undecided items listed).

Nevermind that there are far more prophetic sci-fi movies out there.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
      X