Mainboard destroys RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainboard destroys RAM?

At work we have a computer that has always been a litle strange (most of it due to a wrongly atatched heatsink)!
    One morning the 128MB PC100MHz Ram stick had died!
    I replased the memory with another 128Mb!
    Now that memory also has gone bad!
    Could that mainbord destroy them??

------------------
    INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
    G200Mill 16MB SDRAM
    SBlive
    128 MB RAM
    19GB HDD Space!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Quite possible. I'd replace the board -- why replace more RAM?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well...
      I would have changed Mainboard by now but my Boss is in the way!

------------------
      INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
      G200Mill 16MB SDRAM
      SBlive
      128 MB RAM
      19GB HDD Space!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Which is cheaper - additional ram replacements (at some point you'll have to start buying those) or motherboard. Right now I'd say it's the mainboard.

Throw that at the bosses backside and see if he/she gets out a 'da way.

Guyv
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950
        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I don't know what kind of resources your company has, but if you can get your hands on a Digital multimeter, I'd test the power supply. It may not be directly the motherboard's fault - a bad PS could blow it (and your RAM) to pieces.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well...
            I have already tryed arguing!
            And testing the PS is a good idea!
            Besides the board is ansient - max 66*4.50=300!
            And the 128 has risen from the dead in another 'puter! (The PKE Readings are of the scale!)

Comment

Working...
            X