Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAC or new multichannel-amp ??

Hello all!

I have some wonderings around various upgrade paths to improve my system. Below you can see how im geared up.

Loading all my music using nondestructible FLAC on the HD of the Tvix (connected via RCA to the C370) i think of how to improve the sound in my setup. Im moving from DVD/CD as im ripping everything and putting the plastic relics in storage somewhere outside my appartment.

The RCA output from the Tvix doesnt compare to the sound of the T524, in any sense at all. When i load the T524 with DVD-A material the distance greatens of course. So how can i improve then sound from the Tvix? (or any digital source for that matter, portable players and PCs etc).

Have been looking at "The Benchmark DAC", which to me could be to analytic. The "Citypulse DAC DA2.03e" seems like a very attractive option. AS the NAD and the Canton are very lively in sound it could be wise to match them, however, to make things more complex. I just ordered a pair of AKG K701 (very open and detailed and analytical to some people..)

The new multichannel recievers from NAD (T765,T775,T785) offers a tremendous amount of features but, i will probably never use 90% of them. Multichannel has crossed my mind so many times but... i like 2 channel the most, regardless of source (movies, concerts, music etc).

For me the "most bang for the buck" in reconfiguring my setup in terms of better 2 channel audio is of most importance. So what are your opinions?

Does the DACs of the T765 etc or any other multichannel receiver on the market below 2000Euros blow the DAC of the NAD T524 away? Or should i go for a external DAC??

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions,
    The best
    Pontus Jakobsson

NAD C370 2 channel integrated amp, running biwiring
    NAD CD/DVD T 524
    Tvix HD 5000U, (has both coaxial and TOSLINK digital output)
    Canton RC-L (using the active box, requires a pre/amp output/input in the amp)
    Good cables (atleast expensive :-D )
    Monsterpower powercleaner

My Dad is running a Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC (2chl) which he really likes. You could probably find one for about $500-600.
    He likes the sound of it over the onboard DAC found on his Roksan Caspian CD player (which I beleive was well over $1000 USD when it was new).

If you can, find a hifi store that will let you bring stuff home and test it out. I have always found that the 3 things that make the biggest difference in sound (and in this order) are Speakers, Amp, and the Room you play it in.

Rest of his system:
    Audio Research D70
    Quad ESL-63
    Counterpoint Preamp

My system:
    Cambridge Audio 540D DVD/CD Player
    Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amplifier
    Quad 12L
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Alot of people seem to be liking the Lavry DA10.

But the Benchmark seems to have alot of flexibility exp as can come with usb input. You could plug the benchmark straight into you rpower section and use the

Benchmark DAC1-PRE you could maybe plug it inbetween the Tape out and the Preamp in sections on the back of your nad 370. Plus it has USB.

Comment

Working...
      X