X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the El Camino

Link....

El Camino comeback begins at N.Y. auto show

NEW YORK -- An El Camino comeback is underway as General Motors Corp. plans to unveil a car-based pickup truck Wednesday at the New York Auto Show.

Bringing back the "ute" segment for the first time since Chevrolet retired the El Camino in the 1980s, the yet to be named model is based on the rear-wheel drive Pontiac G8 sedan and will be sold at Pontiac dealerships late next year.

Like the G8, the new vehicle is based on an Australian platform. GM's Holden subsidiary successfully sells ute vehicles to fans Downunder.

Moving into an untapped American segment will create buzz around the Pontiac brand, said Dave Smidebush, Pontiac and Buick product director.

"We've never been afraid to break into new areas," he said. "This product will offer the utility of the pickup in an affordable vehicle that has the rear-wheel drive performance of the G8."

The two-passenger utility car features a 361 horsepower, 6.0 liter, V-8 engine.

Smidebush said the vehicle will be marketed as part of the G8 family. An online contest will determine the vehicle's nameplate.

The G8 family includes the base sports sedan and a performance-oriented GXP version, which will also be unveiled in New York.

The Australian cult classic should be a head turner in America, said Rebecca Lindland, automotive analyst at Global Insight Inc.

"I think its kind of fun and it reaches out to a market that's likely to expand in car-based pickup trucks," she said. "As gas prices rise, you'll see interest grow among those who still need the utility of a pickup."
    Attached Files
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I always was intrigued by the El Camino and went looking for a new one in '77 but they didn't offer it in a stick so I passed. I still think it's a neat idea and practical. We've had a station wagon (touring) for the last 17 years (wow, it is getting old).
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

God, that is ugly! I had an El Camino for short time. It was converted to a 3 on a tree
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I really wish they had some of the vehicles available here that they do in Australia.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
        X