Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dive gear recommendations

Hello,

Later this year, I'll go on a diving cruise to Tanzania (my first diving cruise), and I'm looking to purchase various gear and requirements. First thing on the list is a BCD; as I have back problems I'm looking at the Poseidon W50. Any comments or other recommendations?

A friend of mine advised a boot + flippers combination rather than flippers that go on the feet directly for use on a boat. I have a feeling she might be right, but what is your take on it?

Any other things I need to be weary of for such a dive cruise?

For what it is worth, I'll most likely join in with a first dive weekend here in Grevelingen early may (will most likely still be drysuit ) , and might already learn a lot from that.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

OT: The first thing that came in to my head, apart from being impressed and kinda jealous , is why take your own stuff all that way? Is it easy to transport it? Most airlines allow 20Kg max luggaage (some even less) with huge charges for anything over. Which makes me laugh as I'm overweight by at least a suitcase worth and they don't (yet!) charge me extra.

Anyway, I bet you'll havea great time
    FT.

Comment

We (the dive club) charter a boat. Renting material is apparently more difficult because of this. Also, the quality of rented material depends largely, so own equipment is recommended...
      The maximum allowed weight currently for our flight is 25 kg, but if you book well in advance you can get relatively cheap rates for additional luggage (of course, when you are at the check-in, and then turn out to carry too much, it will be more expensive).

Of course, being my first such trip (it is actually the first trip I make in years where I don't have to bring a suit ), I want to be well prepared. The preference of boots+flippers to foot-flippers seems to make sense to me, but perhaps there are other suggestions.

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

having lived for some time in tanzania & having spent some of the time on Zanzibar: where are you going to dive exactly? Mafia, Pemba, Zanzibar itself?

might have some useful hints for Dar & the island, if necessary.

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

on gear - try renting it first, then buy.
          its really each to their own and personal preference.

as for the luggage, most airlines actually allow extra for divers.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
            having lived for some time in tanzania & having spent some of the time on Zanzibar: where are you going to dive exactly? Mafia, Pemba, Zanzibar itself?
            I don't know yet (it is only later in the year). I believe the boat is planned to depart from close with the Kenian border (alos a reason why the program isn't exactly pinned down...).

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
            on gear - try renting it first, then buy.
            its really each to their own and personal preference.
            Yes... so far I made my dives with rental gear. The jacket seems the most important item for me to buy: I'd hate to have to miss many dives due to back-problems, and most rental jackets cannot be well adjusted to match my physique (1m76, 55 kg). Ones own wet suit/boots/flippers will most likely be more comfortable than rental (and those aren't the biggest expense ), but as I currently dive with a rented dry suit (too cold), I can postpone those purchases. So putting all things together, that only leaves the regulator...

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

don't have my model on me atm, still in the office - spend a lot on that little item
              i have one with a ball joint in the hose that reduces pull on my mouth.

Excelent purchase, never regretted it.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
              X