Job Update, Mid-march 2k8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Update, Mid-march 2k8

Since y'all were so kind as to let me rant and rave previously, it's only fair that you get a job/career update.

I've given notice at my current job, effective last Wednesday. I'm taking Good Friday off this week, so I'll give them an extra day on the tail end, making NEXT Wednesday my official last day.

The following Monday, I'm scheduled to start contract work (meaning $$/hr. on a weekly paycheck, instead of $$/yr. divided by pay period). This will make me roughly 160% of my current salary, or more lik 145% if I am smart and take some out each week to "bank" for days off. The other benefit to this place is that it is LITERALLY across the street from Jacob's daycare. I can put Logan on the bus at 8:30, have Jacob to daycare for 8:40, and be AT MY DESK at 8:45. Then out at 5:15, and home by 5:30 every day.

I also have one place which ought to come back with a permanent offer well before my contract start date (which is also about 10 minutes from home), one place which wants me for a second interview and has AMAZING benefits (but is downtown), and another couple interviews this week that are supposedly "urgent placement" type positions.

So I guess the news is overall very positive.

Now if there weren't so many OTHER crazy things going on in my life right now.

- Gurm Out
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Pick m one at a time if you can.

Good though, increase in pay and easier on day-to-day business (daycare) and good prospects. Good luck.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm currently doing temporary work, at 50% less pay than what I had last year ( not same responsabilities), but i also have a very sweet drive to work and back, 20 mins each way, and no stress.

Good luck with the new job, and put more away for a rainy day.
      If you were getting by on 100%, try putting as much of the extra away, since payment by the hour isn't reliable...
      getting 165%, but only working for 1/2 the time isn't fun...

I personally like to have a buffer in my account, usually 3K euros, but atm, less than 200.....it feels good to be able to cover just about anything life can throw at you...and to know it.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
        I'm currently doing temporary work, at 50% less pay than what I had last year ( not same responsabilities), but i also have a very sweet drive to work and back, 20 mins each way, and no stress.

Good luck with the new job, and put more away for a rainy day.
        If you were getting by on 100%, try putting as much of the extra away, since payment by the hour isn't reliable...
        getting 165%, but only working for 1/2 the time isn't fun...

I personally like to have a buffer in my account, usually 3K euros, but atm, less than 200.....it feels good to be able to cover just about anything life can throw at you...and to know it.

I'm with you on that one. After a couple minor budget adjustments I will in fact be socking most of the extra away, at least at first until we build up a buffer. Well, ok first I have to pay off the lawyer, pay back my wife's bonus, and pay down some bills. But THEN it'll be all socked away. I figure by end-of-year it'll look much rosier, really by summer even.

But as for reliable - unless I do something to piss them off, I'm approved for 40-45 hours a week, every week, for 6 months. After that it's renegotiated. Decent, really. And that's if NONE of the other offers come through, in which case I keep looking for just the right permanent position. Not too shabby. Just have to plan ahead for days off and vacation time.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Wow. 6 months is cool.

I have got a 1 month renewed contract. maybe another month after that...
          If i can get 3 months full time work, at least i'll be eligible for unemployment benefit...

Good to hear you've got the budget sorted out, just have to stick by it now
          Thats the hardest lol...
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Ok figured I'd drop a final update in here...

GOT THE OFFER I WANTED!

With the place I wanted to work, downtown Boston so the commute isn't too bad. Plenty of $$ (it'd be gauche to post how much on an open forum), plenty of vacation, good perks, etc.

Full time, salaried, benefitted from day 1. I start 2 weeks from today. I'll give my boss a couple extra days, drag it out until the end of this week, and take next week OFF. Get some downtime in, spend some time with the kids, and then hit the ground running on April 7!

Thanks for everyone's well-wishes, here's hoping this is the start of a great new chapter!

Comment

Hey Gurm,
              Let me be the first to congratulate you on the new job.
              Congrats.
              Wow the hoops you had to go through, but as long as it's worth it.
              Now relax, catch your breath and enjoy your little break.

Comment

Congrats bud!

It's good to know that we all started looking about the same time and all have nice new jobs to show for it.

Last day for me is this Thursday (the 27th) and I start the following Tuesday (April 1st). Figure I didn't need a break in-between given I've only been at Hertz for 9 months.

Anyhow, don't want to hijack the thread.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Congrats to Jason and Jessie Enjoy your new careers.

And before you leave Jessie, can you put me a back door in so I can get a really sweet deal on car hire in Orlando this summer?
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

And before you leave Jessie, can you put me a back door in so I can get a really sweet deal on car hire in Orlando this summer?

Your offer code is "sexual predator"! Just say it a bunch of times within earshot of the security guards.

Comment

Congrats to you both for sure. Your new job sounds awesome, Gurm!
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

See, I'm not entirely sure I could subject you to such poor customer service from the Titanic of the car rental market.

Comment

I showed Jammrock the job description and company. Again, it'd be poor form to go flashing it about the open forum, but anyone who is curious about where I'll be working just hit me with a PM!

Comment

Ha! Jason got Jessie job
                            FT.

Comment

If Jason is an underpaid (not American) Indian who has to learn my system in two days and two others in under a week... sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X