X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me decide: K7M or MSI 6167

Could you list the good and bad parts of both? Thanks
    hi

I have the K7M, I like it and it is very tweakable.
    Only problem with it that I can see is that the power supply connector is very close (too close) to the slot A. So if you need a big heatsink and cooler on the athlon due to overclocking you will have problems, but saying that I have a globalwin vek32 on my athlon, that fits fine after removing one screw from the fan and shaving a bit off the edge of the fans casing.

There is a problem with PS2 keyboards also that stops the sytem booting (quite confusing when you have first built the system) with this mobo, but I think there has been a bios update - I now use a USB keyboard.

Comment

Ummm the HS issue will bite you in the a*** if your wanting to run +700! 2.The K7M also maintains the largest list of incompatability issues at this time.

I'm using a Globalwin FKK32 to run them upto 850. It's a lot bigger than the VEK32.
      sporting a much larger HS.

P.S. the specs on the size doesn't include the fans mounted to them!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

What?! problem with PS2 keyboards?
        Greebe- could you list some of the incompatibilities? Can the MSI 6167 change the core voltage?...and anyluck on your "goldfinger" device?
        hi

Comment

I have a K7M and MS-6167. Both have a few problems. The K7M has more features, and is of a superior build quality IMHO. However, it seems to crash/lockup more frequently than the MS-6167, and, as many people have mentioned, the power connected is very poorly placed.

------------------
          aka Chris H

Comment

Paradox... You've been paying way to much attenion to Tu! They are not "Goldfingers" they're copper (should be "CFD"). Another individual (JC) is claiming fame for the expression (goldenfingers, goldfingers)... the term has been used for Hmmm 40 some odd years.
            The mod I make is called the Eclipse and currently waiting on the manufacture of the PCB's to contact me... sorry still waiting.

I tested to the point (with the K7M) that I felt it had to be returned. 1. no space for a real HS. 2. It wouldn't read the cpu's above 800. 3. bad BIOS (unflashable) 4. not as stable as the MSI.

Sorry but I'm not going to list all incompatbilities... 1. as Bios updates become available these things change. 2. My reasons were enough not to reccommend to anyone that I'd assume would want the same respect. 3. reccommending a product (at least for me) must be of the utmost stability. I've read reviews upon reviews by those that (Uhmmm, Anand comes to mind)) aren't qualified or do so at the expense of the profits they'd have if a negative review would appear.

Also I don't want for others to simply take my word for it. If interested in any product, you must take the time to do your homework first (ie visit the manufactures website). Ask plenty of Q's to owners of said product and see if what you have or wanting to have is feasable. Read every review you can find (take each with a grain of salt) and adjust your view accordingly.
            The MSI 6167 mb is of ample size to allow a real HS. It doesn't sport such things as changing the Vccore or altering the FSB speed. While my Eclipse isn't able to change the FSB (none are), it will do the multiplier, Vccore, and the L2 (1:2, 1:3). If the MB you pick will change Vccore then all you have todo is turn it off on the Eclipse.

P.S. I know that the Alpha P3125 can be fitted to the K7M, but most don't have the materials neccessary or would not want to do it themselves.

------------------
            Designer of the first Athlon mod. Currently marketing the "Eclipse" through AZZO Computers.
            Anyone up for an Eclipse'd Athlon 850? Email me for more information

2800 mips, 1.092 gflops @ 800 mHz 1:3 latency
            CPUmark99 70.7
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

get the msi 6167. i have worked/found sulotions to every problem with this board that i had and it is extreamly stable

------------------
              my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
              it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Working...
              X