Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple sued by ZapMedia over iTunes

Uh-oh....

(AP) -- Apple Inc. was sued Wednesday over allegations its iTunes online music store and iPod music players are illegally using a patented method for distributing digital media over the Internet.

Atlanta-based ZapMedia Services Inc. sued Apple in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, accusing the Cupertino-based company of violating two ZapMedia patents.

ZapMedia wants royalties on Apple's sales of iPods and iTunes music, which reached nearly $11 billion last year. The success of iTunes has helped make Apple the No. 2 music retailer in the U.S. behind Wal-Mart Stores Inc., according to market researcher NPD Group.

The patents in question cover a way of sending music and other digital content from servers to multiple media players, a broad description that could also apply to a wide swath of other companies selling digital media and the devices to play it.

ZapMedia applied for the patents in 1999. One was granted in March 2006, the other on Tuesday.

ZapMedia said it met with Apple to discuss licensing, but Apple rebuffed the offer.

"When someone takes our vision and our intellectual property without a license after several attempts, we have no option but to protect it through every means available to us," Robert Frohwein, ZapMedia's general counsel, said in a statement.

An Apple spokeswoman said the company doesn't comment on pending lawsuits.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Well it's either waranted or ZapMedia simply is in a money crunch situation and looks to Apple and others for a quick profit.

If Apple is in the wrong, this could hurt them big time though.

And here I was going to buy an Ipod, I'll wait and see what happens.

Comment

Oh boy, another extremely broad patent from a fluff company.

Comment

I should patent "transmitting bits from one electronic device to another" .. I could make millions
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
          Well it's either waranted or ZapMedia simply is in a money crunch situation and looks to Apple and others for a quick profit.

If Apple is in the wrong, this could hurt them big time though.

And here I was going to buy an Ipod, I'll wait and see what happens.
          If Apple is "in the wrong" then it would be safe to assume that they won't be the only ones ZapMedia goes after.

There's just something inherently wrong in the fact that the patents in question were issue just (relatively) recently (March 2006 and just the other day) - the patent applications were filed back in 1999.

As far as having any effect on iPods, it's rather doubtful you'd come to regret purchasing one. At least not for any reason related to this.
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

You don't need iTunes for iPod. I just use Winamp to transfer music to my shuffle.

Comment

Working...
            X