Site exposes teacher unions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site exposes teacher unions

Speaks for itself with tons of info on how the AFT and NEA screw up our schools.

FWIW my wife is a teacher of 30 years experience and she totally agrees with this sites perspective.

I don’t represent the children.
    I represent the teachers.

— Al Shanker, former president of the American Federation of Teachers

Everyone cares about public schools.

Whether it’s through values, taxes, the economy, or labor issues, we all have a stake in public schools, a dog in the fight.

Of course, some dogs are bigger than others.

There is no disputing that America’s teachers unions -- in particular, the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers -- are the most organized and powerful voices in education politics. There are groups of people that care more deeply about public schools (parents, most notably) but they lack the coordination and vast resources that teachers unions have at their disposal.

Above all else, because of their easy identification with educators themselves, teachers unions enjoy a level of credibility with the voting public that any politician would envy. But is this credibility deserved?

According to the New York Times, an international comparison finds that the United States has the worst educational quality per dollar spent on schooling, ranking 18th in reading and 28th in math.

Why are we getting so little for our money?

Since its founding, the Center for Union Facts has collected a wealth of research documenting the impact of teachers unions on our nation’s children, schools, politics, and even teachers themselves. Here are some of our findings:

Teachers Unions Oppose Education Reform

While Americans’ opinions vary widely on education reform measures such as school choice, charter schools, and paying better teachers more money, teachers unions are in comparative lockstep. These unions fight tooth and nail against any meaningful change to their comfortable status quo -- to the detriment of schoolchildren and taxpayers.

Union Contracts Wrap School Districts in Red Tape

Countless studies have documented how unnecessary provisions in union contracts inflate the cost of education. But most parents, reporters, and politicians probably don’t know that those same contracts keep the neediest districts from hiring and retaining the teachers they need most.

Teachers Unions Protect Bad Teachers

Teachers unions defend the practice of granting educators “tenure” after only a few years. Tenure laws help keep bad teachers in the classroom by making it almost impossible to fire them. Few other professions feature this kind of ironclad job security; even some convicted criminals with teacher tenure don’t get fired.

Union Officials Misuse Teachers’ Money

Most teachers unions are exempt from the transparency required of private-sector unions, making embezzlement of members’ dues money especially easy. Many union officials have endorsed costly retirement plans for teachers in exchange for kickbacks. And many dues-paying teachers don’t support the political causes and candidates funded by the union dues they’re forced to pay.

Most teachers are doing a wonderful job under difficult circumstances. The overall effect of teachers unions on public education, however -- when lawmakers and voters leave their power unchecked -- is far from positive.
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 March 2008, 07:26.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I refuse, FLAT OUT REFUSE, to accept that it might be worse over there than it is over here.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I don’t represent the children.
      I represent the teachers.

— Al Shanker, former president of the American Federation of Teachers
      What a fitting name for a union boss!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
        I refuse, FLAT OUT REFUSE, to accept that it might be worse over there than it is over here.
        Trust me; in many, many ways it really is. You should hear my wife talk about it, endlessly

Since my retirement my exposure to it has been through our kids teachers, where we have been lucky, and a few administrators where I have butted heads on several occasions. Far too many have a major God complex or they're incompetent and don't have a clue as to that fact - or both. Not unlike some surgeons I've known
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 March 2008, 11:27.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Its gotten much much much worse over the past 10-15 years.

Comment

In the past private schools have strictly been used by the wealthy in the US. Boarding schools, and high-end "prep" schools, etc. Nowadays things are so bad with public schools that parents will do almost anything to put their kids through a private education, wealthy or not, because most public schooling is simply horrible.

I know my wife and I have discussed it. Fortunately we don't have to worry until our kids start leaving the Montasorri program in 7 years.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Apparently that happens here also...to the point that sometimes place is reserved for a child even before it is born...

Supposedly whole education system has gotten much worse aften "reform" few years back...(luckily with me not included in it) but I think large part of it is simply preconditioning to a rat race...

Comment

Oddly, I was in the teacher's union (NEA) twenty five years ago and it was unimaginably weak back then, at least here in Oklahoma.
                We didn't even have health insurance.
                And I made so little that if I had had a wife and two kids my kids could have gotten free lunches at the school.

We have a very good public grade school right in our neighborhood.
                It had been closed for years but a bond issue passed and turned it into an arts magnet school.

We are not Catholic, but we have ChooChoo in Catholic school because, well:

Attached Files
                Last edited by cjolley; 17 March 2008, 15:11.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Boy Says Teacher Forced Him To Urinate In Lunchbox During Class

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Orange County Public Schools is investigating claims that a student was forced to use a lunchbox as a toilet in front of his class at Meadowbrook Middle School.

The teacher will not be coming to school. She will be relieved of her duty with pay as the school district investigates, officials said.

"If you gotta go, you gotta go," student Quonterious Thomas told Eyewitness News in an interview Monday.

Thomas, 13, says his language arts teacher, Jameeka Chambers, gave him two options when he had to go to the bathroom at Meadowbrook Middle School in Orange County. She said he could wait until the end of class or use her lunchbox in the back of the classroom.

The sixth grader said he used her lunchbox.

"If I had waited any longer, I would have peed on myself and that would have been even more embarrassing," Thomas said, adding that his entire class of 19 students and his teacher watched.

When Thomas told his mom, she said she didn't believe it at first and later realized how traumatized he was.

"I have never, in all the days been living, ever heard about anything happening in all my life. This is a really big shocker for me," said Shameka Bryant, Thomas' mom.

Orange County Public Schools told Eyewitness News the claims are under investigation. The district has taken statements from students in the class, but has not spoken to the teacher.

Chambers has been out of town at an education conference in New Orleans. This is her first year on the job and her record is clean.

"I'm seeking counseling for him, asking questions. What was the purpose? I want to know," Bryant said.

Orange County Public Schools wouldn't specifically comment about what happened. The district says teachers have to allow students to use the restroom.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc...if my kids were "forced" to do anything like that here in Canada, union or no union, that teacher would be in a world of hurt, male or female!!!!!

That's utterly traumatizing and very very demeening to do something like that to a student! Sheesh what are they thinking?

Comment

Its highly likely that nothing will happen to that teacher, except maybe an extended period off with pay. The unions provide so much protection that about the only way a teacher with tenior can be gotten rid of is if they comitt a sexual felony against one of the students.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
                        Its highly likely that nothing will happen to that teacher, except maybe an extended period off with pay. The unions provide so much protection that about the only way a teacher with tenior can be gotten rid of is if they comitt a sexual felony against one of the students.
                        It's highly likely that nothing of the sort happened to start with*.
                        OTOH, if it did then it probably would constitute a sexual felony.

I've got a unique idea.
                        Let's follow it and see what really happened and what comes of it.
                        Instead of tilting at straw men.

How about anyone who finds out more posts follow ups to this thread.

*Did you notice that the student claimed that the teacher suggested that he pee in the teachers own lunch box?
                        How likely is that!?
                        My bet is that he peed in the teacher's lunch box as a prank and got caught.
                        Last edited by cjolley; 18 March 2008, 10:18.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

This is one of the best arguments I've ever heard for closed-circuit surveillance systems in all classrooms.

I used to be ambivalent bordering on outright opposed to CCTV cameras everywhere. After all, who wants Big Brother watching you all the time? But like all other technology it's turned out to be a double-edged sword. The same camera that might catch someone vandalizing a classroom or kidnapping a 14-year-old girl can also catch police malfeasance, and can spell the difference between a slap on the wrist and a conviction.

The only important question then is, who decides how those CCTV recordings are used?

Kevin

Comment

Well those arguments don't apply at all to the class room, or any other work place.
                            I don't think the law assumes ANY expectation of privacy on your employer's property while you are being paid by them.

I think it would be a good idea.
                            After all, the principal can come in and observe a class any time he/she so desires.
                            Why would viewing a CCTV be any different?
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I don't think that the teachers unions would ever allow cameras recording them in classrooms.

Comment

Working...
                              X