New TV soon - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV soon - suggestions?

Looking at getting a new TV for my room. I'm thinking a 32" LCD w/ 720p. (Room is only 9x11'). Budget $600-900 CAD.
    Couple of things I would like - good contrast ratio, good viewing angle, and HDMI.
    Speakers are a non-issue, would be satisfied if they work

The two brands that have stood out to me are Sharp and Toshiba.

Thoughts/suggestions/alternatives?
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Samsung makes a 32" with a 5,000:1 contrast ratio & 500 cd/m2 brightness that retails at WalMart for ~$800 US. Model #LNT3232HX. It's on a Rollback sale this week. Had a peek at it Saturday & it looks good.

The Consumer Reports #1 ranking for 32" LCD's is a 4 way tie between two Sony Bravia's ($$), the Panasonic TC-32LX700 and the Samsung LNT3242HX (7,000:1 contrast ratio etc.).

The Samsung was ranked as high as it could go on viewing angle and all image & sound quality categories. 3 component inputs & 2 HDMI.

Toshiba was ranked down for the viewing angle, sound quality and the remote.

Sharp wasn't tested in the 32" category, but in the 37" group it was a mixed bag for image quality etc. Middle of the pack.

They didn't test the LNT3232HX, but the linage looks solid.

If you don't mind an online order NewEgg has the newer LNT3242HX for $700;

and Amazon.com for $723
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 March 2008, 13:56.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

On a budget, Samsung usually get good reviews. I'm biased against Sony, although admit the Bravia's do look good. Not sure about the Canadian market, but most UK TVs have HDMI.

Honestly, and I hate saying it, but you really need to find a store with a bunch of them side by side, and see them for yourself. A lot of people buy the brightest one, but I'd go for good colour, good blacks, and watch how the viewing angle affects it. Not all sets in stores are calibrated right either, so some have the brightness up full to make them look good, at the expense of detail and blacks.

Do you have anywhere to look at some screens?

Also, what's the deal with tuners over there - do you need a tuner in the screen, or will you get your signal through an external box?
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Most stores have numerous HDTV's up and running with HD programming displayed so you can pick your preference. Not everything that tests well looks good to every eye....it's all very personal. Some people like high contrast, others not.

The US drops analog NTSC broadcast TV next February (2009) with the bandwidth being sold off for new telecomm uses.

Simultaneously a new band, digital HDTV, starts up requiring a different tuner. There is considerable overlap as many stations (all in our area) are already broadcasting in HD, some with 2 or more actual program tracks; 7-1, 7-2 etc. with 7-1 being the ABC network affiliate and 7-2 being their dedicated 24/7/365 local weather channel. Our PBS channel actually has 3 program tracks, 2 with their usual programming and the third with programming for crafters.

The broadcast digital is FANTASTIC in quality and we've found only a set of rabbit ears is necessary to get all of them. No static, no snow, no degradation, no nothing....just a gorgeous picture.

As a result new HDTV's need the new digital tuner and old TV's not connected to cable or satellite will require a converter box. This box inputs from an antenna and outputs to channel 3 or 4 while formatting the HD programming as required by the old TV's screen format.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 March 2008, 14:11.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've looked at different screens at Best Buy a few times, thats where I found that I liked the Toshiba and Sharp. Not really sure what models of Samsung and Sony they had though.
          Haven't looked in a few months, but now that I will be looking more seriously, I figured it would be good to read up and get some opinions so I go in prepared.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

This Sony is $900

With tax that would be $1008. Really pushing my budget - but I do I have $25 Best Buy gift card
            Last edited by Mehen; 16 March 2008, 18:15.

Comment

I find Samsung cumbersome to use, and that the seem to impose odd limitations.
              Example of the first: entering numbers (they still use a selector switch for single/double digits, and it feels wrong) or browsing through teletext pages; example of the second: limitations imposed on picture in picture.
              But in all fairness, I am biased towards Philips both for control as for image.

Jorg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I really like the Philips Plasmas.

Unfortunately they don't have any LCDs in my range here in Winnipeg

Comment

The big thing as of late seems to be % NTSC Color Gamut. A lot of the new models are up to 92% of the color gamut, whereas most of the older ones are 72-76%.

Comment

Working...
                  X