Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for speakers for VCR and computer

Hi Gang,

I'm setting up a conferance room at work with a projector and need your advice on what type of speaker system to get.

I need to set up something that will work with a SB Live and also be able to use with the VCR.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Hmmmm- And what kind of movies are we going to be playing on that VCR???

Anyway - most of the Cambridge units that have the external control box (like my DTT2500 Digitals) accept digital input from the likes of the SBLive! and also accept analog inputs from almost any analog source. The nice thing is that they include a Dolby Digital Processor so you can watch that Matrix video in 5.1 dolby digital.... On the big screen...

Otherwise, if it's just for board room presentations, almost any of the Altec Lansing, Cambridge, Klipsch to name of few, should work very well. Go for the best sounding you can get for your budget. If possible, try to get them on an evaluation to see how they sound - not all will fill a room with the same quality.

Good luck dude,

Guyver

------------------
    ABit BE6, PIII-450 OC'd 600Mhz. 128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2.0V, 41C, Matrox Millenium G400 MAX, Adaptec 2940U2W, Quantum Atlas 10K 160/m 18.1GB, Quantum Atlas IV 4.5GB, Kenwood 52X TrueX Ultra SCSI, Mitsumi 3XDVD, Memorex 6x2x4x CDRW, Iomega 100MB Zip ATAPI, 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy, 3Com/USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, HP DeskJet 895CXi, Creative/Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 5.1 Digital Surround System, Logitech Marble FX, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (with 2 Port USB Hub)...

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Hi Paul..

What kind of budget are you looking at? Do you have to mount the speakers on the wall?
      How large is the room? Are there likely to be noisy folk to contend with in there?

I can send you the stuff (Look at my PF under occupation ) If you have any sort of decent budget, I would recommend a couple of things. If it is a larger room (say, larger than 30x40 with high ceilings) you will have to spend more on beefier speakers. But if it is a normal sized room, and you need to mount the speakers on the wall (They should be up fairly high), I would do 2 or 3 B&W LM1 mini monitors up front only (unless it is doubling as a theater and you're really watching movies in there ) I would also get a Yamaha receiver to power the speakers, since you can easily plug the computer and VCR into it too. Wire it with no smaller than 16 gauge speaker wire, and you will have no problems.

------------------
      Kind Regards,

KvH

[This message has been edited by KvHagedorn (edited 04 December 1999).]

Comment

Hey Guys,

I will measure the room this morning and get back to you. I don't have a big budjet for this especially since I will be buying a projector today. I will probably have to wait a month or so before buying a good set of speakers. For now we found a set of Altec Lansings for the computer. I may also need some kind of wall plate with a switch and plugs for the computer and VCR inputs and the output to the speakers.

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Just measured the room. It's 21'deep, 22.5' wide and has a 10'suspended tile ceiling.

Paul

Comment

The Cambridge FPS2500's would work well. They are going to run upwards of $300 though. You can plug in the VCR to the analog input via a Y-adaptor (2x male RCA to 1/8" (3mm) stereo). The SB Live! can be plugged into the digital, assuming is has the Digital I/O card...

Of course you could get the Klipsch Promedia v.2-400's (which will have more than enough juice to fill the room), then run the VCR into the Line IN on the SB Live! via a Y-adaptor. Plug the SB Live! to the Promedia's and viola! Surround sound, Klipsch style. Just make sure you have the Line IN turned on in the Audio HQ.

Just some thoughts...

Jammrock

------------------
            PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Buy.Com has the DTT2500's for $226.50 USD + shipping. (They went up about $27 - I got mine last week for $197.95 - $10.00 in a frequent buyer certificate)

http://www.buy.com/comp/product.asp?sku=10217771

I've heard the Klipsch's and they rock as well - either would make a good solution.

Guyv

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 03 December 1999).]
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
              - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
              - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950
              - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Well, KvH is right the B&W's are incredible. I spent close to 3 hours listening to the B&W speakers today

The LM1's would be perfect used with a Receiver. That would give your computer the ultimate sound.
                www.bwspeakers.com/index.html

Shit!!! I went in to listen to the cheap LM1's for work and went home with a pair of 605 series 2 monitors

Thanks KvH

Paul

Comment

B&W is one of the oldest and most respected speaker makers in the world. Their speakers have been used as studio monitors since the 1950's. They are used mostly in classical recording houses, because they are very accurate. Good choice!!

The home speakers demand a little power though, so feed them well with a good amp. If you are using any speakers in a 20x20 room, you will likely need some amplifier power beyond that supplied by a sound card. Sound cards are good for only a watt or two and the amps built into computer speakers are only a little more. A good 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver would be a good addition for your office presentation system. Just pay attention to the inputs and see if you can find one that has inputs for both the VCR and the sound card. Then you can use that to switch everything.

RAB
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
                  X