Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best options for data restore? (after...format... :/ )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best options for data restore? (after...format... :/ )

Yep, still offline...but moving really soon to a place with net access (even if pathetically slow and not very reliable...) - actually I'm sort of living here/at the new place already...and made for the first and last time the biggest mistake of "PC geek" - buidling new computer for a friend/family.

Of course that ends up for you beeing the admin of such machine... I said to myself initially "why not"...sigh; and that they'll learn...besides I've had a machine on which I could do work (mine's in pieces)

Unfortunatelly...I didn't predict how absolutelly bonkers the owner will go when I'll be gone for a week Suffice to say: total data loss due to formatting...

Obviously I'm supposed to do something about it. And honestly I-DON'T-CARE anymore, but...on the HDD there were also my files. Only few of them, but...moderatelly important; most of my creative (sort of for myself kind, so only "moderatelly"...) work during those 2 months. And I've checked partition table/remember how it looked previously - it's extremelly unlikelly that something was written again onto this area of HDD.

OTOH: I don't know if the NTFS formatting durring reinstall was quick or slow... :/

So...current suggestions of software that might have a chance in salvaging the remains? (basically only from NTFS/ex-NTFS partition...though from NTFS/ex-ext3 would also come handy (but ext3 capability is not crucial))

Big thanks in advance (back in few days (you have no idea how happy I'll be if you'll leave here solution that will work); have to do this "moving" thing; I've instructed (but will there be any effect?...) the owner what to do to minimise the risk of wiping any possible remains)

Try Ontrack Easy Recovery, hook another drive of same size to rescue data on-to.

Comment

I've had great success with GetDataBack:

Data Recovery Software products and downloads — GetDataBack, DiskExplorer, DriveImage, Captain Nemo, RAID Reconstructor — All of Runtime's Data Recovery Products.

It recovered all the data on a 2 TB RAID volume after accidentally blowing up the partition and installing windows over it. Don't leave home without it.

One of the great things with GetDataBack is that you only pay if it works and your data is available to recovery. Meaning, download the free demo and use it. If if finds and makes available your data you can buy the software, punch in the key, and off you go with your recover, and you don't even have to restart the software, let alone the system.

I used the PE Builder plugin, which is not guaranteed, but worked great for me under UBCD4win 3.11.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

what Jammrock said ....
        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          One of the great things with GetDataBack is that you only pay if it works and your data is available to recovery.
          That's a pretty darn good policy. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
          X