Apple G4 Vs Athlon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple G4 Vs Athlon

I had a thought, Apple claim that their G4 is faster than an intel chip of the same speed, so how do they clock against an athlon?

There must be a benchmark comparison somewhere on the net?

I haven't been looking for G4 numbers but do remember that they were classified as "Supercomputers" by export laws. Don't know the reference level (clock speed) but the limitation is set at 1 gflops.

Use these #'s for reference, Athlon 800 1:3 cache latency.
    2626 mips
    1.027 gflops

CPUmark99
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'd believe it. The G4 chip is pretty damn fast. It peaks at 4gigaflops, and averages better than 1. Also, the Altivec unit is damn impressive. 16,000 adds in ONE clock (yes, I know what I'm talking about, I was at Motorola in TX when they passed around the G4 evaluation board).
      The processor is quite nice, it's the supporting hardware (and OS) that I'm not a big fan of.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No Half-Life, no care :P
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I agree, I cannot stand macs, just thought i would be cool if the athlon kicked ass of the G4!!!

Comment

::mind-control instructions from Gates::
            BASH THE MAC
            ::return message::
            AS YOU WISH MASTER
            :: off ::

[This message has been edited by KvHagedorn (edited 25 November 1999).]

Comment

I always find these "comparisons" by Apple to be funny. Hell yeh, the G4 is a blazing fast processor, but it doesn't mean much since you're decidedly limited in what other hardware you can get. ATI Rage128 or a PCI voodoo? Blech, no thank you. No SB Live? Those foogly cases? =)
              My point is though, when Apple comparies a 400mhz G3 to a 400mhz Celeron or whatever, they don't mention the _huge_ price difference between the two boxes. If the comparison was a 2000$ G4 vs a 2000$ Intel based PC, i'd bet the addition of faster "other" hardware would put the intel box over the top.

------------------
              P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

Comment

We'll I have just built my new Athlon system, 500@700 and I would not swap it for a $10,000 Mac.......

This athlon is very fast.....

Comment

I don't understand why you pride so much about your Athlons.
                  Correct me if i'm wrong but when you compete a 600Mhz Athlon and a 600Mhz PIII in raw power they have ONLY 8% difference.
                  SO what????
                  Is it that so small difference or what???
                  You olso forget that the PIII 133Mhz with a 820i motherboard an rambus(or 133SDRAM) is not at all second in Winbench 99.Its even 8 out of 10 test faster than Athlons.
                  Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Mind control instructions from Jobs:

Bash PC. Beige is bad. Tangerine is good.

Ignore or become psychotically defensive about all quantifiable data that does not tow the Apple line.

Flash hardware so G4 processor will not run in G3.

Upgrading is bad and will void your waranty and will expose you to dangerous cosmic rays. Buying a new computer is good.

Games are very bad. Pissing off game developers is good. Photoshop is everything. ATI Rage Fury is the videocard God uses.

Sorry; I couldn't resist. After all that business about the 233 MHz iMac being the fastest desktop computer available, I just couldn't resist.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.com

Comment

I'm still waiting for my Athlon/ slot 1 dual board that I pre-ordered
                      jim
                      * with built-in dual g400 chips and T&A

------------------
                      PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                      128mb pc-100
                      Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak-410mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.30 & bios 1.5-22
                      Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                      SB Live!
                      Winblows 98se & DX7
                      32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
                      3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
                      Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
                      Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
                      Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
                      Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
                      Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
                      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                      Epox 8K7A
                      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                      SBLIVE 5.1
                      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                      3Com Hardware Modem
                      Teac 20/10/40 burner
                      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I already have one of those dual boards, they are mighty fast, and when overclocker to 1400Mhz provide enouhg heat to warm my whole flat..........

Comment

ok what i820 chip set intel still hasn't released it yet have they? might have missed it while i was palying with my amdk7500 at 650 (and i don't mean engineering boards) oh and the overclocked copperless mines yep. intel sure likes overclocking when it suits there pourposes.

------------------
                          my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Alessandro, When I can buy an Intel product that'll do 850 for $200 bucks I might... not! Rambus is BAD, but then again look at the prices for that stuff! I mean how many K7's can I get for the price of 1 / 128 meg stick (4)? These run fast with regular PC100 sdram. Also by the time the CuMine's (unCu'd) run 850, it'll be two month's min that I've been there, done that.

Jim, Uhmmm... I wouldn't suggest plug'n in an Athlon into a slot 1! I do hope that's an oops there.
                            Which one did you settle on?
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

merchant2112-how do you push athlon 500 without engineering boards?

------------------
                              IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!
                              IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!

Comment

Working...
                              X