AMD's new 780 series chipsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's new 780 series chipsets

Check it out, there are some links to video as well, just add another radeon and you have instant cross fire with triple core CPU's.

Awesome!

They reviewed it on Toms and he thinks to seem that the onboard GPU performs well, and witha possibilty of hybrid crossfire. Not sure what CPU they use for the test but it gets about what I get in 3DMark 2006. Fairly decent in my opinion.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I bought the Gigabyte version. FANTASTIC for HTPC.

On board video decodes Blu-ray/HD DVD flawlessly through HDMI.

And since there are no fans except the CPU, almost silent.

I am very happy with it.
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

If only I had faith in ATI drivers... (and that includes alternative operating systems)

Oh well, if I decide soon(tm) to make an upgrade, I'll have to find (very rare at this point) Gigabyte mobo with 4 PCI slots and integrated GF 6150se (yeah, much slower than this and upcoming Nvidia 7xx series...but somehow I doubt there'll be another cheap (50€) mobo with integrated gfx & 4xPCI)

Comment

ATI drivers have been quite good for me, and linux support is on the up.
          ATI(AMD) has been providing help to open source developers for a while now.

Comment

Good Linux support is "upcoming"; not good enough if I want to use it now... (and I had mostly horrible experiences with ATI drivers; OTOH if I set up for somebody Nvidia card/integrated GFX, it's always smooth...)

Comment

Defenitely not to smooth if you use the ATI closed source driver, but the built in one is ok.

Just built a machine using mandriva linux and the DVD playback is excellent and some hardaware accel for the built in driver are good. The closed source driver does suck, hopefully I will not have reason to use it in the future.

The nvidia closed source driver is a a breeze compared to ati's. But the open source one is better for ati.

Comment

I would never even consider using closed one; of course I was talking about the open one. And in this case, as I said, "good Linux support is 'upcoming'"; "ok" one, as you put it, might be already here, but that's not enough.

BTW, my main GFX card is Radeon 8500, a card that isn't even supported anymore by closed ATI driver but supposedly is one of the best choices when it comes to GFX card with open source drivers. From wiki:
                Some segments of the Linux user community, which prefer to avoid the IP-encumbered ATI drivers due to stability and long term maintainability reasons, still prefer the R200-based chips, as they are among the fastest modern video cards with stable open source drivers.
                Well...NV cards (even integrated ones) still work better on Linux from what I experienced...

(BTW, devs for ATI R200 open source drivers somehow managed to mimick "ATI doesn't like to be in one machine with GFX card from other vendor" Win behaviour...)

edit: oh, and "If only I had faith in ATI drivers" includes also their DX10 cards on WinXP...well, so far I can see that official ATI drivers don't support AGP models AT ALL, and people have to get hacked/Omega/old drivers...
                Last edited by Nowhere; 20 March 2008, 01:18.

Comment

Working...
                X