What speakers should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speakers should I get?

What speakers should I get to go with a Vortex2 SQ2500?

Not too expensive, but nothing really crap either.

Thanks,

altec lansing makes real desent speakers. not to expensive either.

------------------
    my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,5x cldvd region free, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Are the 2 & 3 speaker systems any good or is it worth getting the 4 or 5 speaker systems?

Can I place then near my monitor without the magnetic fields distorting the image or damaging the monitor?

Comment

My opinion is buy headphones and a Dolby decoder. Kicks serious ass. Much better than any speakers I've heard. And you don't need Sennheiser HD-600s either.

------------------
        Win98SE, 600 PIII @672 MHz (@2.40 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300 with Senheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and Shure FP22 headphone amplifier, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

Brian has a point. Nothing beats headphones for sound quality. But if you have to get speakers, get a nice pair of real speakers that are small. You can't buy these at CompUSA. go to a real audio store and get B&W LM1s or Phase Technology 4.5Ts. These are the best sounding smaller audiophile speakers out there for a reasonable price. Yes, it will be more than multimedia computer shop speakers. Yes you will have to buy a receiver of some sort to power them. (Yamaha makes a little upright computer receiver with built in everything)Is it worth it? Absolutely! Just listen to them and then listen to the little multimedia things with a tiny chip amp in them pumping out distorted sound. No comparison!

------------------
          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

I shelled out the $250 for Klipsch's Promedia v.2-400. I should get them by weekend. Then i'll tell you what 400 Watts RMS of great speakers sounds like. Headphones have never cut it for me, sure the quality is good but them HRTFs don't match my brain's psychoacoustics so they never sound right to me. Same thing with 2 speaker 3D. For music the sound is centered in my head. I find that unacceptable. FPS1000 only cost $75 but can't fill up a room. (I had them for a while) Listening to them now (I'm at my brother's place and I sold him my old systems G200 and all *sniff*)
            The FPS2000 isn't bad either but again can't fill up a room. Methinks I may get evicted soon for noise pollution if the Promedia is as good as I think.
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Denty - I feel the same way about headphones by themselves. They don't get it. However, the addition of the Dolby processor (for example Sennheiser DSP360) makes all the difference in the world. They sound great! The sound never comes from the middle of your head. It comes from front, back, sides. Great. Never use speakers again. If you get headphones, try them for comfort before you buy them. Also, if you buy headphones with an impedance of 100 ohms or more, be prepared to buy a headphone amp also. It is easy to find great headphones that don't need a headphone amp.

Comment

Denty-If you have a good sound card you'll love the Promedias....they're really unbelievable. You've got to check out TFC.

Merchant-yep about them being a bit pricey, but I really think they're worth saving for. Heck they only cost a few days rent in the San Fran. Bay Area. One of the most satisfying upgrades I've ever done.

Comment

guy's corect me if im wrong but didn't adamhamilton request recomendations for not to expensive, and not real crap. now seprate amps and speakers don't fall into that catagory and niether do 250.00 speaker systems. but mid range altec lansing speakers do. i know real speakers sound better i have a bose souround system with doby digital dvd player big screen tv supper vhs ect... sound and audio system but hey it wern't cheap. but dose blow my mind when i crank it up.

------------------
                  my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,5x cldvd region free, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

oh and the monitor thing (yes i have two acs 400 (a discontinued atec doby prologic system) taped right to the sides of my monitor and these are big each one has 3 speakers in them. no distortions . my syb is one of the older ones it handles bass ok the newer altec subs handle base better. if you want to spend the money go for the 4 point system but before you buy anything lissen to them. i was at a staples store and even they have the difrent systemsa set up so you can hear the speakers. in my opinion the altec system just sounds better than creatives mid range offering the altec system rated a 4.5 stars in one of my computer stratigy plus mag reviews. they are ok speakers and thier subs are better than the other companys in the smae price range. now regular speakers are ok and ones with good enclosers should not effect your screen but you won't know untill you put them next to you monitor. and i definitly would not put them two close to your comp.

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 25 November 1999).]
                  msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel

Comment

Got the Promedias yesterday. Last set of computer speakers I'll ever buy. I turned them up until my ears hurt from the volume...no freaking audible distortion. I shall have to be careful with them or i'll certainly be evicted. VERY NICE to put it mildly. Worth every penny. Worth more than every penny. I'll try the headphone thing when I save/make some more money. Priorities for now are Yamaha 6416S SCSI CD R/RW, Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD, 15 GB IBM IDE HD. Max and Athlon before my birthday in Feb. Using cheap ATI stuff (Charger and TV Wonder) till then.
                    Also those Altecs aren't bad for relatively cheap speakers (I have listened to them for extended period. I'd also figure that B&W speakers should sound good. I also wonder how Klipsch are able to make money off the ProMedias, they sound like they should cost a lot more.

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 28 November 1999).]
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

adamhamilton,

2 questions for you:

1) What is your price range?

2) Do you prefer headphones or speakers?

Jammrock

------------------
                      PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

well denty and jhonny ray.. as the saying go's put up or shut up so i upgraded my old (nolonger made) altec lansing acs400 w/ as my yamaha rear speaker. with a set of acs56 speakers also altec for 149.00 don't gwet me wrong these are ok speakers and the sound better in games than my old speakers but for the 149.00 that they cost they just don't cut it. my old acs400 satalites i think are better designed and sound better. the rear satalites (acs56's) have a noticeable distortion in the vortex test applet. but i don't notice it to much in halflife. don't get me wrong for 149.00 these speakers are great. but not up to my standards. i have a doby digital sound system w/ infinity and bose main speakers that have been modifyed (wireing and binding post treatments. i hate TIN spring clips.)any way the acs56's will be goingf back to compusa sat. after my promedias show up on friday. (i wanted the promedias frist time based on your comments and the reviews i have read but could not find them at mt local dealer.) a side note on the acs56 i big warning that i would not like these speakers was that one of the satalites on the display set was blown. i chalked it up to customer mishandleing guess i was wrong.

------------------

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 29 November 1999).]

noel

Comment

1) What is your price range?

up to 50 UK pounds.

2) Do you prefer headphones or speakers?

Speakers.

I've been looking at the following:

Altec Lansing ACS33 £46.94 (the only ones I can find in the UK)
                          Labtec 2414 £41.11
                          Logitech X1 £45.82

Looking at the specs of each, the ACS33 sound the worst. I've bought Logitech stuff before and have been really impressed with them, and I've no idea what the Labtec ones are like.
                          The problem is, there is no where I can go to listen to them, I'll just have to 'buy blind'.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Comment

Go to www.hifi.com . They have some decent Cambridge speakers. In the 50 UK pound range (i.e. $80 USD) you are not going to get too much. The ACS-48 are good, nut may be a bit over your price range. I used to have a pair of ACS-45's and those are good too.

If you can hold off, though, I would suggest getting a cheap generic 2 speaker unit now and save up for something really good for later. No need to spend good money now on speakers that don't do much for your nice new sound card.

Jammrock

------------------
                            PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

For the money you want to spend (in the UK) I think you'll find it hard to beat(quoting from Insight.com/uk 's website)

"pc works four point surround system inc 10 watt subwoofer
                              mfg part #
                              20 expected on 10 Dec 99 £42.00 £49.35
                              FOR GAMERS WANTING A SURROUND SOUND EXPERIENCE

Based on the award winning PCWorks speaker system, FourPointSurround FPS1000 offers surround sound and 3D positional audio for 3D-capable sound cards. It offers four discretely powered satellite speakers and a powered subwoofer for EAX and DirectSound 3D games and applications that support 4 channel output. "

For a computer system they are fantastic, assuming you only want to rock your room not the neighbourhood, not that they're quiet, they just can't crack your windows like some 249 dollar speakers can. With a Vortex2 sound card they are amazing (for what they cost, remember, though I think they're pretty impressive period). Mine are hooked up to a Diamond MX300, using Aureal drivers.

I think you can find them at PC World too.

dave
                              Don't make me angry...

Comment

Working...
                              X