No announcement yet.

Blu-ray Player Price Drops To $17,000!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-ray Player Price Drops To $17,000!

At first glance, we didn't really believe anyone would create a Blu-ray player with a $16,900 sticker. Then we saw it was produced by Goldmund. Continuing its long heritage of offering up grossly overpriced wares for those with more money than sense, the firm is now trumpeting a Blu-ray player more pricey than most low-end automobiles -- and we're not even sure it's Profile 2.0. What we do know is that the Eidos 20 BD includes an AC-Curator power supply circuit, the outfit's own Magnetic Damper for lowering read errors and a chassis only a mother could love. To each his / her own, we guess. [Via CNET]

What a bargain!

$17,000 for a Blu-ray player.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Originally posted by Jerry Jones View Post
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/26/g...yer-costs-17k/

What a bargain!

$17,000 for a Blu-ray player.

Jerry Jones
    http://www.jonesgroup.net

They said Blu-ray player prices may rise when HD DVD departed the scene but $17000?? Open it up and it's full of air and cheap parts the same as all the other players.. maybe "Made by Sony" on the boards..
    paulw

Comment

Actually, given that it's Goldmund it is clear that Blu-ray prices are coming down indeed. $17K is prolly an entry level price for them normally.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
        Actually, given that it's Goldmund it is clear that Blu-ray prices are coming down indeed. $17K is prolly an entry level price for them normally.
        Yeah, $17k for a Goldmund component seems about right.

There's HiFi, and then there's HiFi. Goldmund, Krell, Wilson... yikes... $$$$

Krell Evo-Two pre-amp ~$35k
        Krell Evo-One power amp ~$45k
        Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2 ~$135k

I had the opportunity to listen to an older pair of Wilsons (GRAND SLAMM's I think, can't remember exact model), they were ~$75k for a pair. I think it was powered by a 600W Krell amp. I got them to put on some Tool (Lateralus).
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Amyone who buys this stuff had got more money than sence as far as I'm concerned..
          paulw

Comment

I know some receivers can range between $800 to $40,000 if not more, the 17K for a blu-ray player may be a bargain for those folks that can afford it.

Cheers,
            Elie

Comment

what components can they possibly put in them to justify such a price?
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
                what components can they possibly put in them to justify such a price?

e-peen
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Perhaps it is not so much the components as the time it takes to figure out how to connect them or somesuch.

OTOH, I have listened to a US$5K SACD (stereo!) player once and I did like it better than my $1200 St/Mul.ch/SACD/DVD-A/DVD player. So who knows?
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The amount gained vs. money spent grows like an inverse log. Most people have to balance their sound quality with budget, and they find a sweet spot somewhere on the curve depending on how much $ they make. But the people that don't have to worry about a budget at all - well, that's why there are brands like Goldmund
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I'd love to see the face of the wealthy dude who shells out $17,000 for one and then -- immediately after turning it on -- it eats his DVD and refuses to cough it back up.

And if he were a mortgage banker, and times get tough, and he has to sell...

I wonder if anybody would buy a used one for say $9,000.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Not sure what would be amusing about seeing someone losing a DVD but, yeah, I am pretty sure you'd find buyers at $9k.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                          Not sure what would be amusing about seeing someone losing a DVD but, yeah, I am pretty sure you'd find buyers at $9k.
                          Well, then I'll explain the amusing part to you.

Suppose you're somebody who actually believes the very common marketing ploy -- and I emphasize ploy -- that suggests the higher an item's price the greater the value.

So then this type of consumer plunks down a mountain of cash because he/she actually buys this common marketing ploy.

And -- in the end -- the item turns out to be just as susceptible to failure as any other piece of electronic equipment.

If you read the surveys, many consumers really, truly equate a higher price with higher quality and reliability when their faith isn't justified by objective testing of the product.

That's the funny part.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Jones

Comment

That kind of sounds like the audio type who buy a $500 power cord for their amp or a $5000 RCA audio cable
                            paulw

Comment

Oh, I am aware of marketing ploys, they work like a charm most of the time and that is not just with audio/vidio equipment. But wrt this product, have you, anyone?, listened to it yet? Most reviews I've read on Goldmund products do praise them for the quality (which does not neccesarily mean they're worth their money).

Comment

Working...
                              X