• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watercooling question...

Hello!

Simple question:

Would this be sufficiant to cool this ?
    (only the card, no CPU)

The latter mentions it needs a cooling that can "dissipate 175W", but I cannot find this spec on the Silvertek thing...

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

if it's just one of those and not the CPU, then more than likely yes. To be sure I would email Silvertek support and see what they say.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

it seems as though it should be enough for 2D operations but i don't know about 3D gaming or other applications?

...that is a good looking unit though

as a side question...how powerful of a video card would you need in combination with that PhysX board considering offloading issues(PCIe to PCI and back to PCIe)?

i want to play crysis as soon as i get my nostromo n52te(coming soon!) and i don't think my 1950 pro will be up to the task(...that being all eye candy on!)

Comment

as a side question...how powerful of a video card would you need in combination with that PhysX board considering offloading issues(PCIe to PCI and back to PCIe)?
        We're talking about Ageia ? Nvidia bought them recently and are thinking of adding PhysX to their cards through GPGPU (CUDA), no need for a separate physics card (at least that was the rumor).

Comment

yes...the ageia

i was reading the product description on the site from VJ's link above. it sort of claimed that it would change the way "bullet strikes", "falling objects" and other in-game sequences would behave...that maybe the cheaper video cards couldn't show on screen during game play?

<)}

Comment

Another side question: what happens when a video card is running too hot?

Will it cause the card to simply throttle down (like cpu's do), or will it yield artefacts and crashes?

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              Another side question: what happens when a video card is running too hot?

Will it cause the card to simply throttle down (like cpu's do), or will it yield artefacts and crashes?

Jörg

It depends on how hot. Artifacts first, followed by crashing. Some GPUs can get awefully hot before that happens though.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

TD01
                Video Review http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/6947/36/
                another review http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/c...rcooling-kit/1

If it can handle a CPU, it can handle a GPU.
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

this is the second paragraph from the conclusions section of the xsreviews review...

The temperatures will fail to amaze most enthusiasts, but are more than acceptable in an environment where gaming and CPU intensive applications aren’t used. There are two versions of the Tundra; the TD01B and TD01S, with the first being black and the second silver so you can choose which on suits your setup. Overall the Tundra is a sound buy for anyone looking to silently cool their HTPC while adding a little style to their setup.
                  this seems contradictory...acceptable where gaming and CPU intensive apps AREN'T used?

aren't htpc applications CPU intensive?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese View Post
                    aren't htpc applications CPU intensive?
                    with a newer video card, no (eg. HD2600XT is an excellent HTPC card). With something older it can be extremely intensive (I have a X1950pro, a fairly powerful card, but it doesn't help me in terms of HD content. My 3ghz P4 single core therefor has to do most of the work - and it can't quite handle 1080p).
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

i have that same card(1950 Pro) with a dual core 2.94GHz extreme processor and i can't play 1080p very well either..but 720 plays fine

C

Comment

I just read that the upcoming nVidia cards (9800, 9600) are to consume less power and generate less heat than the current version. The Tundra was an idea of a friend; I'm looking to buy something on a longer term...

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X