Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents going in to retirement

How do they cope? How do you cope?

So both my parents are now officially retired, age 59. Both are still fairly fit and active. About to go on a 3 week cruise 'down under' to celebrate various anniversaries.
    Since Dad's first retirement, about 6 years ago, I've watched him become less sharp over the years. I'm not suggest alzheimers or anything like that, but he leaves the details to me now, if you see what I mean. They are more reliant on me for things than before. Its not much, but it is a trend.

How did your parents cope/adjust to retiirement, and how do you cope with it as their off spring? Of course I know some of our more venerable members here can answer from the senior point of view too
    FT.

Looking forward to my retirement. Six months and counting
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Arguing the toss with Dr M keeps me young
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I vote they are just leaving more in your hands as revenge for all of your diapers they had to change
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Theoretically I will retire about the same year ChooChoo starts University studies.
          Unless we win the lottery or something I won't be retiring for a while

OTH I am on my third totally unrelated career, so I don't feel much like an eminent retiree even though I already qualify at this job.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
            Theoretically I will retire about the same year ChooChoo starts University studies.
            Do it the year before. It will be a lot better for her financial aid application if your income is that much lower.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
              Do it the year before. It will be a lot better for her financial aid application if your income is that much lower.
              LOWER!?
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

How did your parents cope/adjust to retirement, and how do you cope with it as their off spring? Of course I know some of our more venerable members here can answer from the senior point of view too
                Both sets have been retired for 20 or so years now.
                The only relationship difference I noticed was that it is easier for them to visit us now than for us to visit them.

PS That and I wouldn't dream of allowing a member of my family to ride in a car driven by my father anymore and he used to be known for his 1337 driving skilz. (He was an Air Force instructor pilot for many years)
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                  Arguing the toss with Dr M keeps me young
                  But of course that works both ways
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thankfully I don't have to think about that for quite a few years still my parents are 51 and 50. Though my dad is already talking about going back for his nursing degree when he retires from the DEP. He was a medic in the air force before college and I know he misses it.

I'd make sure your parents see retirement and just a chance to do what they've always wanted to do. I know I can't see myself fixing computers and servers forever. I CAN see myself being a crotchety old art professor swinging a cane and telling those damn kids how to draw and sculpt though

If my parents are anything like my grandparents though they'll keep themselves busy. The travelled all around the country visiting friends from my grandfather's service days and summering in Alaska and wintering in Florida. They kept it up for at least 15 years before my grandmother diabetes put a stop to travel. He just turned 88 and still is self supportive and independent, my parents fought with him for weeks on who was paying for his birthday dinner at a steak house... my parents lost.
                    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                    X