Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD and WindowsNT?

Hi,

My father is about to purchase a new computer, and want to install WindowsNT on it.

He has read somewhere, that you cannot use a DVD-drive when you have installed WindowsNT, only Windows98. I have searched the web, to find an answer, but cannot find one.

Thank you in advance.

You can use a DVD drive in Windows NT. However, if you plan on using a hardware decoder make sure the decoder has drivers for NT. My Creative Labs decoder card does, but I've found that software playback with WinDVD is better (only one I know of that supports NT, though). Check out <a href="http://www.dvdutils.com">DVD Utils</a> to see if WinDVD will work for you.

Hope that helps,
    Jon
    My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
    2 Pentium III 500 MHz
    256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
    2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
    Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
    Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
    Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

Yes, the drive will work fine, but decoding software probably won't (WinDVD is supposed to work in NT4, but I sure can't get it to...)

If he can hold off 2 more months, wait for Win2K (WinNT5 renamed...) to arrive... I've been making this recommendation to friends and relatives...

Comment

I'm playing "The Matrix" with WinDVD in a window right now on my NT machine...

"There is no spoon..."
        My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
        2 Pentium III 500 MHz
        256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
        Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
        2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
        Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
        Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
        Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
        Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
        Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

Working...
        X