How to get 100 mpg from your car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get 100 mpg from your car!

This is the title of an article in Engineering & Technology (E&T) magazine Vol 3 Issue 2 9-22 Feb. 2008, accessible only to members.

It describes how the author added an extra Li-ion battery to obtain a claimed 100 mpg plus. However, because the battery characteristics do not match those of the original NiMH, he used the power from the Li-ion only to charge the NiMH when it was running low. The power to charge the Li-ion came from the power grid, not from the engine.

This is a cheat, pure and simple, by making the car a plug-in, because he counts only the energy he uses in the fuel to get his 100 mpg, ignoring the fuel burnt in the power station. This is like saying that an electric vehicle gets a fuel consumption of 0 l/100 km or infinity mpg. His battery required about 12 kWh to charge, requiring typically about 40 kWh of fuel at the power station. This is equivalent to about 4 litres of petrol (gasoline). The author doesn't say what his actual performance improvement is, in real figures. However, he does say the NiMH would take the car one mile at 31 mph, with a capacity of 1 Ah. The battery he used was 50 Ah at 200 V, which he had to step up to 240 V, giving an effective 40 Ah at 95% converter efficiency, so he could get an extra 40 miles per charge or roughly 40 mpg, which is worse than using the Prius normally. Assuming the power station was powered with fossil fuels, there would be a net loss in terms of emissions (and pollution).

So, what would be gained? Because UK petrol is heavily taxed and electricity isn't, he would gain a mite in running costs, but anyone whose family can run two Prius cars and can afford the cost of hyper-expensive Li-ion batteries, cannot be short of money, bearing in mind that such batteries have a short lifetime (whether they are used or not). I suggest that all he can gain is the satisfaction of seeing 99.9 mpg on his display on relatively short runs, while defeating the purpose of buying a Prius in the first place.

In other words, his 100 mpg smells of male bovine excrement.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

PHEV's - plug in electric vehicles - use less fuel and are greener because of the much higher efficiency of burning fuel to generate power at a power station than to burn it in a conventional IC engine in the car which is at the very best 24% efficient. If your power is nuclear, which ours is, then the equation is even more favorable. Even counting charging losses PHEV's are more efficient than a normal car.

EREV's (extended range electric vehicles) carry their own generating station around in the form of a high-efficiency IC (fixed RPM, turbocharged flex-fuel or diesel) + generator. Not as efficient as a full EV or PHEV, but they have a very long range; Volt's will exceed 700 miles, and with the next-gen of LiIon's that may exceed 1,000 miles.

.While most of the focus has been on GM's E-Flex system (it'll be in far more vehicles than the Volt) EREV's will be coming from virtually all large automakers including Toyota. Yes, they finally came around.

As for the life of LiION's: you're correct about the chemistry used in laptops etc., but not for what's going to be used in the EREV and PHEV vehicles coming in the next few years. Because of changes in the electrodes (nanotech structure, different electrollytes & insulating layers) they're projected to have 20 year lifetimes.

This doesn't even take into account the combination "batteries" that'll use both evolved LiION's and Ultracapacitors which are nearing production.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 February 2008, 06:24.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The average gross efficiency of thermal power stations (not counting the rare combined cycle gas/steam turbines) is about 35%. The net efficiency is 3-5% less because of the power consumed to run the power station.

The efficiency of the Atkinson cycle engine in the Prius is close to 40%. You forget that this is not a conventional Otto cycle engine. Old style petrol Otto engines with a CR <9 did achieve efficiencies of ~25%, but modern ones with CRs >12 and variable valve timing etc. do achieve 35%. Modern 2-stroke diesels even reach 50% with the Otto cycle.

Comment

Not net efficiency after gearing etc., in other words HP to the wheel. That's the weakness of the Prius system; dual drive lines (mechanical and electric) and the extra weight they add to the vehicle.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Actually, I would bet the battery situation goes back to lead acid:
          * The UltraBattery combines a supercapacitor and a lead acid battery in a single unit, creating a hybrid car battery that lasts longer, costs less and is more powerful than current technologies used in hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs)
          * The UltraBattery is a leap forward for low emission transport and uptake of HEVs
          * Previous tests show the UltraBattery has a life cycle that is at least four times longer and produces 50 per cent more power than conventional battery systems
          See article here

Why do I think this? Because it will knock $5,000 off the price of a hybrid. This is because a) the management of lead acid is simple, compared with any of the other contenders
          b) there are no IP rights on them (Li-ion and even NiMH both have legal battles going on)
          c) the efficiency (Ah available/Ah of charge*100) of Pb is higher
          d) the volume/Ah is smaller (the weight/Ah is higher) but volume is more important as any hybrid oowner will tell you
          e) Pb works better at extreme temperatures and does not need complex charge/temp algorithms

Comment

Back to the milk floats.

Comment

73mph... wow

Comment

But lead kills you on battery mass, which nullifies the advantages in available charge.

It kills acceleration, top speed and most importantly range.

PHEV and EREV vehicles will be using 3 phase AC motors running at 400-600 volts. You do the math.

I'll help you; the EV-1 could only do about 50 miles with lead acid, and it only carried 2 passengers. PHEV's and EREV's have to carry much more cargo than that, and lead acid batteries would take up that cargo capacity. LiION frees up that extra mass for cargo and passengers.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 February 2008, 20:08.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

These new L-A Ultrabatteries are not nearly as heavy as you think. For the same volume, you get ~4x the Ah and this is what counts in a vehicle where space is limited. An extra 50 kg to obtain this is nothing in a car that already weighs 1350 kg (as my Civic Hybrid does, dry). In terms of cost, the savings are enormous (the latest Li-ion of similar capacity costs $12,000) and you can throw out half of the electronics necessary to manage them.

My car, and the Prius, also use 3-phase AC motors with the voltage up-converted from the battery: so what is new?

Comment

L/A delivers maybe 40 w-hr/kg and L/A Ultrabatteries about 50% more, not 400%. What's 4x is its life cycle vs. todays LiION's, not tomorrows - meaning the new chemistries to be found in 2010's vehicles.

LiION's deliver >100 depending on the specific chemistry...some up to 160. 100% electric drives will need the higher values, even the EREV's. L/A doesn't make the cut.

The Prius can use a step-up because it isn't a 100% electric drive; its electric drive system assists a conventional mechanical drive in only some circumstances therefore it has to lug around two drive systems. Not as efficient, and after months of decrying EREV Toyota itself has started an EREV program like GM's. Quite telling IMHO.

OTOH EEStor's ceramic (barium titanate/aluminum oxide) battery/ultracapacitor unit is said to deliver 2,000 w-hr at 3.5 kv. They're working with Lockheed-Martin for military & Homeland Security applications but EEStor is free to license other uses. If it's anywhere near as good as Lock-Mart thinks it''ll revolutionize the whole industry.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 February 2008, 20:49.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X