Implantable "Digital Tattoo Interface" w/Bluetooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implantable "Digital Tattoo Interface" w/Bluetooth

Jim Mielke's wireless blood-fueled display is a true merging of technology and body art. At the recent Greener Gadgets Design Competition, the engineer demonstrated a subcutaneously implanted touch-screen that operates as a cell phone display, with the potential for 3G video calls that are visible just underneath the skin.

Electronic tattoo display runs on blood

Jim Mielke's wireless blood-fueled display is a true merging of technology and body art. At the recent Greener Gadgets Design Competition, the engineer demonstrated a subcutaneously implanted touch-screen that operates as a cell phone display, with the potential for 3G video calls that are visible just underneath the skin.

The basis of the 2x4-inch "Digital Tattoo Interface" is a Bluetooth device made of thin, flexible silicon and silicone. It´s inserted through a small incision as a tightly rolled tube, and then it unfurls beneath the skin to align between skin and muscle. Through the same incision, two small tubes on the device are attached to an artery and a vein to allow the blood to flow to a coin-sized blood fuel cell that converts glucose and oxygen to electricity. After blood flows in from the artery to the fuel cell, it flows out again through the vein.

On both the top and bottom surfaces of the display is a matching matrix of field-producing pixels. The top surface also enables touch-screen control through the skin. Instead of ink, the display uses tiny microscopic spheres, somewhat similar to tattoo ink. A field-sensitive material in the spheres changes their color from clear to black, aligned with the matrix fields.

The tattoo display communicates wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices - both in the outside world and within the same body. Although the device is always on (as long as your blood´s flowing), the display can be turned off and on by pushing a small dot on the skin. When the phone rings, for example, an individual turns the display on, and "the tattoo comes to life as a digital video of the caller," Mielke explains. When the call ends, the tattoo disappears.

Could such an invasive device have harmful biological effects? Actually, the device could offer health benefits. That´s because it also continually monitors for many blood disorders, alerting the person of a health problem.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Shame its still a concept. The potential is enormous!
    FT.

Comment

No solid info yet, but I'm hearing that at least 2 other groups are working on something similar.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

cool!
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Could such an invasive device have harmful biological effects? Actually, the device could offer health benefits. That´s because it also continually monitors for many blood disorders, alerting the person of a health problem.
          I don't know, at first you can ask yourself how much glucose and oxygen it consumes, can't be much, no harm in that ?
          Than again, that level increases with usage and further development of the gadget. I'm not thinking it would evolve as an independent device with storage and processing power, if it makes it to the market to begin with. Say it will, what happens when you add a better display (color) and watch movies like crazy, browse the net, have too many conferences or play games... you pretty much add another organ in there ?
          Should this be marketed for the entertainment and business world ?
          (keyword, addiction)

Comment

If they prove the concept and its safety then it'll be used everywhere.

The entertainment, communications, business and computing uses are obvious. Not so obvious are the potential uses in the military. The military has been working on the Future Force Warrior (FFW) program. This could well be adapted to that.

FFW basically integrates each soldier into a combat network complete with video feeds from his rifle sight, helmet mounted heads-up computer displays, unit to unit networking etc. etc. FFW would allow a squad commander to directly call in air strikes by talking to the fighter wing, relay information (including photos & video) to all levels of command etc. etc. The communications are of course two way.

Other FFW innovations: exoskeletons (working prototypes exist, some only using 1 watt of power), TINY belt-mounted power stations using micro-turbine generators powered by LNG or alcohol and, get this, a combat uniform that hardens when a bullet hits it then softens again after the strike. It's called "Liquid Armor" and is embedded right in the fabric. Battlefield invisibility is also in the works.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 February 2008, 00:27.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X