Non-fiction suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-fiction suggestions?

My 10yr old ALWAYS has his nose in a book. Even when playing on his computer or watching TV! At school he takes every chance too. He mostly reads exciting childrens adventure stuff, and always reads all titles in a series.

He has a range of other interests (karate, cornet, swimming - moving to competitive now), but is easily bored. He's very bright, having already got the top marks possible for the SATs he should be taking at the end of next academic year and is rapidly working his way through GCSE maths texts.

I'm thinking that it would be good to throw the odd non-fiction title in to his reading habits. He has enjoyed Adam Hart-Davis before.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

T.
    FT.

Principles of Corporate Finance - Brealey & Mayers
    Modern Structured Analysis - Edward Yourdon
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

ROFL. I think something that won't cause permanent brain damage to your average adult would be better suited. Do they do "Oligarchy for Kids"?
      FT.

Comment

Most 10 y-o kids like animal non-fiction (as opposed to stories), things like safari yarns.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Some interesting topics to read about...

1-The solar system, discover the planets what surrounds us.

2-Dinosaurs, it may give him an interest in Palaeontology

3-Deep sea discoveries, what lies beneath the deep waters of our oceans, like int he BBC documentaries, except in a book?

4-The human body and how it works, he can learn about the heart the lungs etc.

5-Animal kingdom, read about how animals survive in their environments

When I was a kids, my interests were in astronomy, learning about the planets and fictional creatures like big foot, the locness monster, frankenstein and last but not least...tons of mystery and detective type stories.

Cheers,
          Elie
          Last edited by Elie; 21 February 2008, 12:27.

Comment

Son Luke's favorite non-fiction work is Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer. You'll want to read the Wiki article to determine if it's age-appropriate.

Kevin

Comment

Is the Bible fiction or non-fiction? The NT, at least is a good yarn if told simply as a story in modern language for kids.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Agreed.

Erik roots around Margies issues of Discover & Popular Science and my issues of Scientific American, Sky & Telescope and Astronomy. If he hits a rough patch we help him over it and it's on to the next story.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I'd hand him stuff written by/about the explorers of our (your... whatever ) time - thor heyerdahl (ra, kon tiki), amundson, scott, hillary (the brit, not her), cousteau, hans haas, etc.

mfg
                  wulfman
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

You can't go wrong with a book about volcanoes.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Get him to play chess
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                        Get him to play chess
                        He's already beaten me if I don't concentrate fully.
                        FT.

Comment

Let him loose in Doc's Science and Military Forum
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Get him on a chess club then or do what Mehen said.

Comment

also, if he like martial arts, he can buy books written by the masters like Musashi and Oeshiba in order to learn about the philisophical aspects and how to think.

One comment intrigued me when Musashi said " life giving sword"

we had an 8th dan Iaido instructor from Japan give us a speech on Musashi and it was amazing.

Anyway, give it a try

Comment

Working...
                              X