Volt recharge ICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volt recharge ICE

The leaks are coming fast, and they say GM will be recycling parts already in the bin for the Volt and other E-Flex vehicles. This info comes from an interview with Frank Weber, line executive for the Volt/E-Flex program.

The Volts recharge ICE is the fueled motor used to recharge its batteries once the plug-in charge has depleted. It's now confirmed that this will be based on a GM "Family 0" engine;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_0_engine

and the specs point to one in particular: the Opel (GM Germany) ECOTEC TwinPort inline 3 cyl, but of course modded for use in E-Flex vehicles.

Large image, so here's the link....

More info, but not from Weber, is that besides the high voltage LiION battery there will also be a dead-stock 12V battery. This will isolate accessories from using up the drive systems battery, start the ICE and also provide some redundancy for other low voltage items. It also means that GM can pull more existing parts (starter, wipers, radio's, window motors etc.) right out of existing stores.

There is also word that the media will be allowed to drive the "Mules" (E-Flex drive line in a Malibu) sometime this spring.

Now for pure rumor: some things Weber said are very suggestive that later (post-2012) E-Flex models will not be limited to piston engines for charging the battery and that turbines, Stirling or other high efficiency engines may well be in play.

Of course the fuel cell has been announced for 2011, but IMO that'll be a small player until some kind of hydrogen infrastructure is in place (if ever).
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 February 2008, 02:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I think all hybrids have standard 12 V systems, as well as the high-voltage ones. Certainly, mine does. It makes sense. They are interconnected through converters but I'm not clear on the details.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Those that use a split drive like the Prius of course need a conventional electrical system as most power and functions flow from the ICE like a normal car and the electric dive is part time.

For the Volt/E-Flex this wasn't certain because of the total lack of a drive system mechanically connected to the charging ICE, which likely will not even run for the vast majority of trips. There was even talk of a return to vacuum driven wipers with a tank, a roof mounted solar panel etc. so as not to run down the LiION.

You might be interested in this PDF

Basically a PowerPoint making the statistical case for their coming products and showing some of the schedules.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 February 2008, 03:46.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X