Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to do???? truex cdrom or dvdcdrom. or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do???? truex cdrom or dvdcdrom. or both?

hi guys , ive been playing oposing force and i must say so far its as good if not better than hl. but the dam pausing between levels and music ect.... while my cerative 5x dvd drive spins up and access what ever is driveing me nuts my new system is lightning fast k7650 w 256k mem only my cd and modem is slowing me down.

what would you recomend. a 10x 40x pionear slot drive, inplace of the cl slow drive or a truex cd drive in addition to the cl drive. in a true x i would consider the 52x. for 99.99 at my local comp usa.

any one with these drive's please respond. is there still a spin up delay with the true x drives if so is it much longer than the 10x pionear drive?

help thanks

------------------
    my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,5x cldvd region free, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

If you watch DVD's on your computer, which I do quite a bit, definately keep your DVD player. I have a CL 6x in mine.

I have a friend that uses a TrueX 52x and it works just fine. He has some minor troubles with some CD-R's, but otherwise works perfectly.

Persoanlly I am going to compliment my 6x DVD with a new Plextor 8x/4x/32x IDE CD-RW. But that is going to run $250+.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Don't buy the 10x Pioneer DVD drive (DVD-104S). Unless they have changed, they are region-locked. Unless I'm mistaken, the first DVD you play dictates the region of the drive forever.

Buy one of the 6x slot Pioneers (DVD-103s or 303s) instead. They run great and are not region-locked unless you remove the jumper on the back of the drive.

Comment

thats a posiblity. 6x pioneer slot drive. hows the spin up time ? dvd movies are not that important as i also have a proscan 2nd gen dvd player. mostly want the dvd for dvd software and apps. but it is nice to play a movie on the pc from time to time.

------------------
        my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,5x cldvd region free, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel

Comment

I use both the IDE and SCSI version of the 6x Pioneer and don't have a problem with them. I don't notice a slow spin-up. I may not be sensitive to this issue...

I play games like Unreal and Quake 2 and don't have a problem.

Actually, I understand that it is difficult to find current generation DVD players that are not region locked.

------------------
          Win98SE, 600 PIII @672 MHz (@2.40 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300 with Senheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and Shure FP22 headphone amplifier, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 23 November 1999).]

Comment

well i ordered the 10x40x slot poineer and a new floppy. not being region free dosen't bother me that much. but cd/dvd preformance dose. besides ive been looking aroound some one will figure out how to crack the region thing like useing a region erasor ect... on the drive sooner or latter.

on a side note heavy metal was relesed on dvd today. got to get it...... (no i did not buy the vhs version when it came out)

where is that jumper located. ive also read that if you jumper the 10x drive before you power it up it will remain region free. reported to work but not proven (the drives don't ship with a jumper)
            ------------------

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 23 November 1999).]

noel

Comment

I found the 10x Pioneer allows 5 region code changes. There is no jumper on it (labeled RPC- Region Play Control jumper) which allows region code changes. The 6x DVD player has an RPC jumper. The use of an RPC jumper sets RPC Phase I mode. Removal of the jumper sets Phase II mode permanently.

I'm still hunting to find out exactly what this means with the Phase I and Phase II.

Comment

wow i just got my new drive a pioneer (aopen) 1040 pro slot version and wow what a surprise. first i thought it was going to have power dvd player nope it has intervisions windvd 1.2.97 and second what ever pioneer is doing for aopen is a real shock the drive has small digital sound plug on it. dont know if it works but i thought the drive wasn't soposed to have the digital plug on it. wonder if its a new version or something.

noel

Comment

i have found a way to release as many region changes as you like from your pioneer 10 speed dvd. It does involve a touch of soldering however. Goto dvdutils.com and they show you pictures aswell.

In my experience with cd rom and dvd, the faster the drive is supposed to be the longer the time it takes to spin up. Depending on how much data there is to be transferred you may be better off with a 24 speed drive than a 48. I have also experienced creative cd rom and they are all IMO really slow and keep spinning down all the time. If you have an sb live in your system there is a utility to stop your drive continually spinning down, didn't work on my pioneer or plextor drives though.
                  1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                  Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                  Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

thanks for the tip on the mod , hehe will check it out latter. oh ya i love this drive a noticable big improvement over the cl drive. and i love the slot wow never going back hehe.

------------------

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

noel

Comment

Working...
                    X