"Dexter" to air on CBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dexter" to air on CBS

Unfortunately it won't be un-cut, but it's far better than the usual broadcast fare....

Link....

The arresting 'Dexter' gets a shot on CBS

By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY

You have to like a strike that leaves us with such a fabulous parting gift.

Having run out of its own crime series, CBS has turned to sister station Showtime for one of TV's best: Dexter, a darkly comic, morally complex drama driven by Michael C. Hall's witty, weirdly sexually charged performance as a psychopathic serial killer who has standards. It's bonus time all around: CBS takes a risk-free risk on a superlative series, and Dexter gets the mass audience and Emmy exposure it has long deserved.

Adapted from Jeff Lindsay's novels, Dexter follows a Miami forensics expert who enjoys killing killers, thanks to a cop foster father who channeled Dexter's psychopathic urges for the public good. Though he has no normal emotions, Dexter knows how to fake them, as he explains in voice-over narration. The device is a bit distancing but lets Hall add ever more eerily humorous layers to his performance.

As terrific as the show and its star are, Dexter is not for everyone. Adult in tone and intention and structured something like a miniseries, Dexter is a more intense hour than we're used to seeing on CBS. It's an interesting artistic reach for the network, and one it probably never would have made had the strike not changed the normal commercial equation.

That change has also allowed CBS to move Dexter to broadcast TV with fewer-than-usual ad breaks and minimal alterations. Cable profanities have been replaced by dubbed, often silly substitutes, and the blood flow has been reduced. But the show was always more about the threat of violence than violence itself.

Granted, broadcast TV has never seen anyone quite like Dexter, whose season-long pursuit of a new serial killer is driven in part by hero worship. Yet surely American viewers are capable of deciding for themselves whether such a show, airing in a late time slot with appropriate warnings, belongs in their homes.

And make no mistake: Though Dexter is obviously sick — a condition he freely acknowledges — his series is not. There's nothing gratuitous or hypocritical about Dexter. It doesn't glorify murder or use crime solving as a vile excuse to revel in the pain inflicted on victims. Instead, it dares to ask who's worse: Dexter or the more "normal" people he chases in each episode.

Now you get to watch and decide for yourself. Think of that as yet another gift.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

CBS will do more hacking up of this show than Dexter does on his victims ... and that says a lot! I laughed when I heard about this.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Heavily edited comes to mind.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Agreed, I'll watch on Showtime.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

They had an article in TV Guide about the show, and they said the only real changes they need to do it edit out the langauge...hell if they where on FX or something, the only thing they would need to drop is the F-bomb from it! The shows producer was really adment about them not hacking up the show...

I have it set DVR tonight, I'll guess I'll see how bad it is and I'm too cheap to pay for showtime or HBO, since I never watch them
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Right ... CBS is going to show nudity and dismemberment. Just get the real thing off of usenet or something. They're already two seasons into this show.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
            X