• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lite-On's flat panel factory fire

Lite-On factory fire threatens PC monitor biz

14 Feb 2008 22:53

Dell, HP and Lenovo may get burned

A fire at Lite-On's main flat-panel monitor factory in China could disrupt LCD display supplies across the PC industry.

Lite-On said a fire on February 3 at its plant in Dongguan caused estimated $71.2m in damages. In total, 14 of their 20 monitor production lines were affected by the blaze. No injuries were reported.

Lite-On is the world's fifth biggest maker of LCD monitors by revenue. Hewlett-Packard, Dell and Lenovo are customers.

Analyst Chris Connery at DisplaySearch notes on his blog that 22 per cent of HP's production of LCD monitors come from Lite-On; 20 per cent of Dell's; and 19 per cent of Lenovo's. Although the vendors often have the same monitor models fabricated by multiple OEMs, Connery believes a shortage could still have an impact on the monitor market.

"Dell has been losing share to stand-alone monitor brand Samsung for the past few quarters, and a disaster such as this could impact their worldwide share even more in the coming months," he writes.

The fire reportedly caused structural damage to the building, as well as damage to some equipment and stock.

Lite-On said its second-quarter results will reflect losses from the fire. LCD monitors make up the largest portion — more than 40 per cent — of Lite-On's overall revenues in past years. They expect damages to be fully covered by fire insurance, including losses that result from disruption of production, according to a Lite-On filing to the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wonderfull

Now tft prices will shoot through the roof
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yes well, businesses as big as Dell, HP and Lenovo get panels from more than one maker. Samsung supplies a lot of panels to Dell as well. As does AU Optics and several others. I doubt this has any effect on prices, or if it does it will be very small. They are after all only the fifth largest, and this is only one plant.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I remember when there was an earthquake in Taiwan that disrupted a ram factory for an half an hour, ram prices surged to 500% and it took a god damn 6months before the prices got sane again.

Every ram maker saw it as an excuse to raise their prices.

I'm cynical enough to expect the same behavior from the tft makers
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

that one disrupted several if not all ram factories is taiwan, and the needed replacement parts which took weeks to arrive.

Comment

Working...
          X