X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aghhhhhh

Disclaimer: This Is a rant!

Why is there a size cap on IE's cache?
    When it hits the cap it just makes a new folder and continues!

On one customers computer it ate up 80% of the hdd

---

One customer got an old computer from his work and when he hooked it up to the net he was horrified to know that the age old trend mico antivir didn't protect him at all.

Every .exe file on it was infected.

He was even more horrified when I told him that I wouldn't install any software that wasn't freeware or he had a licence for...

Fortunately the computer had a XP sticker on it.

---

We have several potential customers who can't seem to be without their computers for more than a day and since we employ a rotating cue system (in first fixed first etc etc) we don't guarantee anything other than that the medium time is one work week they are reluctant to get their computers fixed by us.

We do have a "skip the cue" option at a premium $350 at which we'll almost guarantee that barring unrecoverable harddrive failure the customer will have it in 24 hours
    (yes, we are evil bastards ).

Some of those potential customers go somewhere else, some chose to take their chance in the cue, some pays and grumble, some astound us by thinking it was cheap, corporate customers don't even blink

But then we have those sad cases;

For a month we were phone stalked by one that phoned several times per day asking if the cue was empty.

Another one tried repeatedly to haggle...

Worst one was the one that refused to pay afterwards....

---

And finally:

"hm...what have we here?" I pull a firewire frontpanel cable from the speaker and led pin block of the mother board of one customers computer.

"oh that, I didn't know where to put it so I just jammed it down where it fit" the customer replies

"uhhh, this cable shorted and fried, couldent you smell the smoke?" I could still smell the burned plastic.

">chuckle< I thought it was just one of the new fans, should I care?"

I wish I could have said "Dude, you destroyed a part of your new case because you didn't RTFM!" instead I just looked at him like he was a caveman and said "yeah..."

He had also fried his burner by forcing the floppy cable into it's ide port...
    Attached Files
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I feel for you....

We had a nice lady here who nearly got fired for plugging in a USB Christmas tree...

All was good... until the USB tree shorted and took the entire Motherboard with it in a billowing cloud of acrid smoke...
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

On the other hand..

My 3.200$ notebook was sent to repair around the start of november (I had a week off, so I could survive the 1 week repair turnaround).

Guess what? Its still being repaired, somewhere in Germany (acer.de).

I have had it back 5 times. Each time the machine either wasnt fixed or the damage had actually gotten worse.

Second to last time I actually caught the technician in lying - it said on the SKU that the HD had been replaced. Well - amazing that - the "new" hd had exactely the same serial number - and no, the machine still reset when ever one used the middle keys or moved it while it was on (It IS a freacking laptop).

Now I have reclaimed the original purchase through the store I bought it off. And they will return the cash - as soon as they recieve the machine.

Apparently acer.de have succeeded in mailing the machine to and fro 2 times in as many weeks - without it actually ending up at said merchant.

I know this, since their automatical customer system STILL sends me an SMS whenever they move the crap around.

I am slightly annoyed.

~~DukeP~~
      Last edited by DukeP; 16 February 2008, 17:10.

Comment

Regarding IE...

On Windows Mobile, Pocket Internet Explorer has no cache size limit option. It just keeps filling the internal memory (no option to direct it to sd card either) untill none is left, when full, many programs start acting up...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP View Post
          On the other hand..

My 3.200$ notebook was sent to repair around the start of november (I had a week off, so I could survive the 1 week repair turnaround).

I have had it back 5 times. Each time the machine either wasnt fixed or the damage had actually gotten worse.

Second to last time I actually caught the technician in lying - it said on the SKU that the HD had been replaced. Well - amazing that - the "new" hd had exactely the same serial number - and no, the machine still reset when ever one used the middle keys or moved it while it was on (It IS a freacking laptop).

Now I have reclaimed the original purchase through the store I bought it off. And they will return the cash - as soon as they recieve the machine.

Apparently acer.de have succeeded in mailing the machine to and fro 2 times in as many weeks - without it actually ending up at said merchant.

I know this, since their automatical customer system STILL sends me an SMS whenever they move the crap around.

I am slightly annoyed.

~~DukeP~~

That sucks
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm continuing my rant

Customers who can't, won't or doesn't RTFM!

Customers who can't understand that WE can't under any circumstances do anything remotely connected to piracy and that we won't teach em either!

Customers who who think spending $120 on ink to their 10 year old printer is fine, but thinks we're trying to scam them when we suggest that buying a new printer for $100 where a full set of ink costs 47 will be more economic in the end. (and yes the new cartridges contains more and the new printer uses less, we checked)

Customers who think that anything can be connected to any port with just a mechanical adapter preferable for no more than $8 ("But I got this USB adapter to my mouse, theres no electronics in that!" )

Customers who don't understand that if there are no drivers available for Windows 98, it doesn't matter if the computer got an USB port.

That all single layer 12cm dvd's are all 4481MB, the number of minutes you can record on them depends on your camera!

Customers who fry parts of their computers don't get hired as technicians no matter how much they beg..

Customers who think that arguing will resurrect their dead hard drive or screaming at me will make their data come back after they used the "restore" disc.

Customers who think I care that the item in question is cheaper online or in the next town.

Customers who think it will be done if they show up 2 hours before I told em to show up.

Comment

Have you ever thought about making a thread called Technoid's Rant, then every time you have one just added it to the same thread?
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I actually like messing with computers and other tech stuff. I like the hardware part more than the software part, tho.

But.

I hate other peoples machines.
                I help my familie, because I am obliged to.
                I help friends, because I am friendly.
                I help colleagues, because otherwise our company wouldnt work.

No-one could pay me to help, if I did not feel like it. Been there, done that. After my last stint as "system administrator" (read: electronic janitor) at the department at the university; I actually loathed computers and people.

I am far to fond of both to risc that feeling again.

So Technoid. It requires a certain type of generosity, to help other people with their tech equipment. Either that, or a somewhat black outlook on life.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I actually like messing with computers and other tech stuff. I like the hardware part more than the software part, tho.

But.

No-one could pay me to help, if I did not feel like it. Been there, done that. After my last stint as "system administrator" (read: electronic janitor) at the department at the university; I actually loathed computers and people.

So Technoid. It requires a certain type of generosity, to help other people with their tech equipment. Either that, or a somewhat black outlook on life.

~~DukeP~~
                  Personally I take the few bad with all the good.

Besides, it's never boring, each day always have a new challenge

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE] View Post
                  Have you ever thought about making a thread called Technoid's Rant, then every time you have one just added it to the same thread?
                  I'm kinda doing that, feel free to change the title tho (cause if sasq hasnt changed things, you can and I can't )

Comment

On the other hand..

I am slightly annoyed.

~~DukeP~~

I guess I got lucky purchasing mine. Even though mine was bought used I still had like 11 months warranty on it and everytime something broke, they replaced the whole laptop with the newer revision.

But.

~~DukeP~~
                    Been there too. Man, came to a point where all I would ever do in my waking hours is fix computers! I'd get up in the moring, work for Dell Tech support, get home and my friends, family or my dad's friends would call me up cause of a computer problem, then go home, sleep and it would start all over again the next day. It came to a point were it was expected of me to know the answer or find the solution or know what and why it was broken! Drove me mad!!! But that's how I gained most of my knowledge and experience. Glad I moved far away from all that now. I loathed computers as well, but now, I found a new love, laptops.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind doing what Technoid does, I have the patience.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Apple's customers (well they sure ain't ours ) who complains about the 100% lack of apple devices and peripherals in our shop.

The Amiga fanatic that that seems to be unable to comprehend that I can not find any suppliers that has an Amiga mouse in stock (I even think serial mice for pc is pretty much extinct )
                      I once suggested eBay but that prompted a paranoid rant on the blasphemy of using the internet.

Customers who have severe paranoid delusions (we have several, they range from severely annoying to hilariously Funny)
                      Last edited by Technoid; 27 March 2008, 04:05. Reason: My total lack of spelling powers :p

Comment

People who don't seem to understand that a cd need to be clean to work.

That weird phenomenon that causes people with desktop computers to bring their power cord because "I wasn't sure you had one" even tho its a standard powercord shared by a wast amount of appliances a large part of them totally unrelated to computers.

And customers with laptops not bringing their powercord because "I was sure you had one, it must be a a standard one right?" despite the fact that that laptops seldom have the same power cord
                        Last edited by Technoid; 27 March 2008, 04:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                          People who don't seem to understand that a cd need to be clean to work.
                          You can blame the 1980's BBC TV programme Tomorrows World for that. They demoed the robustness of newfangled CDs by smearing one with jam or somesuch then giving it a very quick wipe and throwing it back in the player
                          FT.

Comment

What kind of noise came out of the speakers if you used raspberry jam?
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

"Parrrrppp".

Don't even ask what BLUEberry sounded like.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X