Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Success! I have an Athlon 500 running stable at 700 MHz on an Asus K7M.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success! I have an Athlon 500 running stable at 700 MHz on an Asus K7M.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time now and the chance suddenly became available Saturday.
    I was browsing the internet Saturday mourning and the website of a local store said they had Asus K7M’s. I called and sure enough they had them in stock, along with an Athlon 500. So I told the guy to pull them and that I would be down to get them. I had still not picked up a solder station to do the SMD rework on the Athlon, so that was the first stop. I was trying to find a station that I could buy that also had tips available that could be modified to be able to work with the SMD’s. I was having a hard time finding one in my price range, when poof, there it was. A tool designed for working with all sorts of surface mounted devices.

After buying the tool I needed for modifying the Athlon, I headed to Micro X-press in Indianapolis. Upon arriving in Indianapolis I missed the exit I needed and when I got to the next exit, the turn lane I needed to get back on the freeway was backed up. So I thought it would be better to turn right, which had no cars to wait behind, and just use the local roads. Wrong, right through 5 miles of shopping centers on a Saturday afternoon. I made it to the store 5minutes before it closed, man was I stressing bad.

The trip home was uneventful and upon arriving home I began to work on exchanging the MB and CPU.
    After everything was installed, I inserted the Win98 boot disk and turned it on. After the bios popped up the alarm went off Waaa Naaa Waaa Naaa WTF so I shut it down and looked over every thing and nothing was out of place so I turned it back on and after a while it stopped. I found out later that ignoring the fan speeds in the bios would stop the alarm. At the dos prompt I typed Setup and everything went smooth until it started detecting hardware right after rebooting from the file copying. BSOD. I tried everything I could imagine to get it to work. I found out Sunday mourning that some PC100 ram won’t work with the K7M.

Man, Sunday sure was a long day. Monday mourning I left once again, this time to pick up some ram.
    I picked up a 128 Mb stick of Corsair PC133 ram, that has Siemens 7.5 chips on it and headed home. When I got home I stuck the new ram in and Win98 installed perfectly and ran perfectly stable. After making sure my system was setup correctly and running stable, I proceeded to disassemble the cartridge. With the cover and heat plate removed I found the resistors to be half the size that I had been practicing on. They where twice as hard to move, but the tool I bought works like a charm.

It booted right up at 700 but locked up with an error while windows was loading. I shut it off and bumped the voltage to 1.7 on the MB. Windows booted fine and did not crash on any benchmarks or while looping Quake II for 2 Hrs. After I was satisfied that it was stable I changed the resistors to 1.7v and put the cover back on.

If you have an Athlon processor and want to use the full potential, I will modify yours for $100.00 plus shipping. I have a warranty (Lifetime) only on the solder work that I do on pre-bought CPU’s.
    30 day Warranty on Pre-Modified CPU’s. Email me if you want more details.
    mikehdft@msn.com

Mike H
    Mike H.

AMD Athlon 500 @ 750 (200*3.75) Asus K7M Rev. 1.04 Bios 12-9-99 128 Meg Corsair PC133 Matrox G-400 Dualhead 32MB 5.41 Drivers SB Live! Full Retail Western Digital Caviar ATA66 AC313000RTL

I can change the multiplier and voltage on your Athlon Processor!
    mikehdft@msn.com

Uhmmm, guys this is not me! Care to post up some pics of it???

Warning Warning Warning Will Rogers
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And for $25 dollars more you could get the "Eclipse" mod. (Sorry Ant)

Clearly you can see it's not limited by what he's doing 40% of 500's did 800 with this. In my system an Athlon 500 "Eclipse'd" to 800mHz with a cache latency of 1:3!

P.S. It'll boot into Win98 @ 850 and run for a couple of min before it belly's up.

P.P.S. Mike H. sorry to hear you have the K7M mb. You cannot put a REAL HS/fan on it and I hope you don't have that defective bios trouble I did (as others have) with the one I purchased from Mxpress. Also the BIOS won't read the cpu correctly above 800 mHz.

P.P.P.S. (LOL) the kit comes with Sterling Silver cache spacers made for me by your's truely ALBPM (Had to give you a plug sometime
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot, "Edward" (the owner) tried to tell me that their generic PC100 cas3 mem won't work correctly on Athlon systems (LMAO) and that's why I had problems with one of the boards I tried. Well I stuck with it and replaced with MSI-6167 (original choice) and works like a dream at cas2!

P.S. Also if they had known you were going to use it on an Athlon system they wouldn't have sold it to you! When asked if there were problems (chuckle) smoke? answered "We won't even attempt it!"

Comment

I overclocked it by changing the resistors around on the CPU's PCB. Not by using a golden fingers tool. It looks exactly like it did when I bought it. Nothin hanging off of it. It will fit any MB that it fit before the modification.

------------------
          Mike H.

AMD Athlon 500 @ 700 (200*3.5) Asus K7M Rev. 1.04 Bios 11-1-99 128 Meg Corsair PC133 Matrox Marvel G-200 TV 16MB 5.15 Drivers SB Live! Full Retail Western Digital Caviar ATA66 AC313000RTL

Mike H.

AMD Athlon 500 @ 750 (200*3.75) Asus K7M Rev. 1.04 Bios 12-9-99 128 Meg Corsair PC133 Matrox G-400 Dualhead 32MB 5.41 Drivers SB Live! Full Retail Western Digital Caviar ATA66 AC313000RTL

I can change the multiplier and voltage on your Athlon Processor!
          mikehdft@msn.com

Comment

The Eclipse will fit any MB/case configuration. It was designed that way from it's conception. Also if you decide to connect a MC1000 cooler (etc.) you're not stuck with the settings. HardOCP did a review on it's prototype and upcoming reviews from Anandtech and others are in progress.

Comment

What's that Mike (Greebe) ???

No sig under your posts??

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

When those overclokers will be available on my local retail store?

Damn it's hard to get good stuff here in Finland.

--
                Arto
                --
                Cirrus

Comment

Uhmmm, guys this is not me! Care to post up some pics of it???

Warning Warning Warning Will Rogers
                  mate....you are such a wanker, heh
                  must think you are THE FIRST and only person in the world that has done this.....

take a chill pill matey.....the man has put up screen shots and you're still eggin him on to prove it with photos.....like you have on his thread.
                  Mate, the Asian websites were well ahead of you on this one describing resistor configuration setups. Your 20 odd years in the industry is getting defensive bloke.
                  Relax and let others take their turn.

Comment

Oh by the way Cirrus, from what I have heard, there are plans to release a commercial unit that plugs into the processor, by the end of this year. Taken with a pinch of salt, that could mean another six months

Comment

Frank, not to burden you, but would you like to point out just one place that did do it before I?
                      There are many that HAVE directly copied my work. I even have proof that this is true in emails of their own admission. Don't want to beat this dead but how would you feel if you were in my shoe's after investing the last 2 1/2 months and all your assets?

------------------
                      Designer of the first Athlon mod. Currently marketing the "Eclipse" mod through AZZO Computers.
                      Anyone up for an Eclipse'd Athlon 800? Email me for more information

Comment

Hi Fr/Wank,

Did you know that Greebe's name is Mike H ? That is probably why he reacted the way he did. Did you know that Greebe was the first to make the socketed version of the Athlon mod? And yes his is a commercially available solution as well. I know his was the first, we have been exchanging emails for @ the past 3 months, and I KNOW that he was the first to get the job done without removing or adding SMD resistors (and in volume to boot). You chill out mate.

Rags

Comment

Well...I think your work looks great...nice, clean job...After playing with my Spankin Brand nude K7 650 (I took the 600 that I have had for 1 day less than 30, back yesterday...with the piece o'poop FIC SD-11 I had been using...second SD-11 and third k7 mbo I had tried...including the Gigabyte). Got the K7M yesterday (see above)...and really like it compared to the Gigs and FIcs I have tried...Not a single reboot when installing 98!!! HurraHHHHH!!!
                          Anyway...unless they come out with a until like a member stated above...I will probably end up letting someone like yourself do the mods for me...I used to solder alot...but haven't do any in the last 10 years or so and don't trust it enough for a 550$ CPU!!! I have made my own thermistors (than I can now use again, on the K7M!!!)..but didn't do that very well!!!
                          Well donE!!!
                          Kelin

Comment

This is not meant to be an example of "who dunit first". I have no reason to contest you as I have nothing to gain by it. Having expressed my opinion in the above post, I will simply quote one english website with an opinion similar to yours.
                            It's most likely that we at Tom's Hardware are the first to present Athlon at clock speeds of 500, 550, 700 and 750 MHz and thus we didn't want to waste any more time and decided to post our findings.
                            In an update to his website shortly after...quote,
                            With my Athlon-Scaling article I incidentally started some kind of competition on the web about who would be the first one to publish how to overclock Athlon. Unfortunately there's a significant number of incorrect or at least incomplete 'How To's available now, so that I felt forced to publish the complete story here.
                            I found it amusing when I initially read this, as HardOCP and other hardware sites had already advertised some Asian websites that had overclocked their cpu's.
                            All this was well before you came on the HardOCP web pages. This is true and correct to my knowledge.
                            This may mean diddlysquat to you, however I wish prosperity in your entrepreneurial venture and would support the underdog rather than a multinational corp.
                            I will leave it at, I meant what I said in my above post, and have shown enthusiasm in your previous threads, but if you have financial interest in you project and feel my comment above may tarnish your pride or investment then I shall edit my post.

errr....RAGS ol' boy, how would you like me to start making fun of your internet handle, hmmm? then where would we be.
                            You chill out mate.
                            uhh....OK.

Comment

Geebe and Mike H. both have my support. My next computer will be an oc'd Athlon.

Comment

Working...
                              X