• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U. of Wisconsin-Madison: Core2Duo violates our patent

Link....

Scientists sue Intel in Core 2 Duo clash

8th February 2008 11:12 GMT

A band of boffins is suing Intel, claiming the chip giant pinched their patented technology and used it in the Core 2 Duo processor design without their say-so.

The patent application was filed way back in 1996 and granted in 1998, long before the advent of the Core 2 Duo design. It details a "table-based data speculation circuit for [a] parallel processing computer", in which the chip makes a guess on what program instructions are likely to be coming up next by refering to a data table holding information on past predictions that proved incorrect.

The reseachers work was carried out at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the lawsuit was filed on their behalf by the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (Warf), EETimes reports. Warf is a non-profit organisation.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yeah...

I wonder how far they will get with this.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Hopefully pretty far. These guys are probably legit. WARF has a great reputation, and they DID do a presentation on their idea to Intel, who declined interest, but seem to have used the idea anyway.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
      X