Frogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frogs

I know the term frog will upset a certain Mr Ellis as it's a racist term abusing the French.

In this case you can relax. These have four legs and hop around the garden and tend to go Grobbit Grobbit.

After another mild winter they should be stirring in my ponds but there's no sign of any at all.

Another strange thing I noticed is that the last two years any tadpoles that have hatched have disappeared completely within a very short time. No dead tadpoles none stuck in any filters simply gone like they've been beamed up by a Star Trek transporter.

One pond has fish in it the other doesn't. Same happens in both.

We did have red leg some years ago but it never really got rampant and only a few died. Any ideas.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Ignoring your usual snide comments, do you live within a km of a river? If so, tadpoles make tasty morsels for eels and they will cross grassland easily to find them. Alternatively, some birds luv 'em, loads of luvly-gubbly protein. Chitrid fungus is universal now but it attacks the adult form and not the tadpole, AFAIK.

I would have thought it was still a bit early for them to make an appearance, though.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Maybe its the Irish

Almost!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Paddy; 9 February 2008, 12:15.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
        Ignoring your usual snide comments, do you live within a km of a river? If so, tadpoles make tasty morsels for eels and they will cross grassland easily to find them. Alternatively, some birds luv 'em, loads of luvly-gubbly protein. Chitrid fungus is universal now but it attacks the adult form and not the tadpole, AFAIK.

I would have thought it was still a bit early for them to make an appearance, though.
        No where near a River and eels are in massive decline here anyway. It's warm enough for them to make an appearance as Spring has started early and they normally do appear around now.

I'll keep an eye for them.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Fried frog legs & hush puppies...yummy
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

in our pond dragonfly larvae were the biggest tadpole killer. ugly bastards...

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
            X