Monster Cables, Monster Ripoff: 80% Markups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Cables, Monster Ripoff: 80% Markups

It's about time someone pointed them out as being a rip off.

Gave up on them ages ago.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yeah... it makes me laugh how they try to pimp their "high end" HDMI or DVI cables as being suprt special. Sorry, but if its shielded correctly and made to standards, then any digital cable is going to work just fine.

Comment

Penny Arcade's take

Man it amazes me they stay in business when this is been a known thing for years. Of course 'audiophiles' think that this kind of thing matters.. and it does to a point but come ON. Heck I'm sure most of us have used electrical wire instead and found it more than passing most of the time. The only thing I'll give Monster is that the few cables I've inherited of their's over the years (never bought) is standing up amazingly well and just as good now as it was when bought.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
          Penny Arcade's takeThe only thing I'll give Monster is that the few cables I've inherited of their's over the years (never bought) is standing up amazingly well and just as good now as it was when bought.
          Which is amazing given how fast cables tend to wear out.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

They have much less of a mark up than what I expected.. when I worked retail, we had printer cables, which we bought for $1.25, which we sold for $14.99...
            I am always biting my tongue, when I see some poor sap being sold monster cables at the local futureshop/best buy.
            Funniest thing was when I bought my TV from one such store about 4 years ago, I was there with 3 other school mates, all electrical engineers, when some moron started pitching the monster powe bar to us while in line up at the cashier( not sure how a power bar would give better picture quality). the original sale person just told him to buzz off, as he full well knew that we knew better
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I like that they provide analog audio cables with number-coding (e.g. a 1 on both sides, a 2 on both sides, ...). It makes identifying cables easier (esp. when the different devices are not right next to each other).

Other than that, I don't see much differences from other decent cables (some analog cables to tend to be quite fragile - esp. SCART - but there are other, cheaper alternatives that are good too).

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I support HD digital cable terminals and there are a lot of clients that pay 150-200$ for an HDMI cable that was sold with their TV. I shake my head everytime.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I get my HDMI's for <$20 on the 'net and they work just fine.

Some people are just looking for a way to waste their money on a 'pretty' product. As for the numbers on the cables; you can get numbered/color coded/both labels for cables for $5 a pack from most electronic suppliers.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                    I get my HDMI's for <$20 on the 'net and they work just fine.

Some people are just looking for a way to waste their money on a 'pretty' product. As for the numbers on the cables; you can get numbered/color coded/both labels for cables for $5 a pack from most electronic suppliers.
                    Couldn't agree more. I refuse to spend $60 for a set of component cables when I can get them for $15 at Target, or for free when I helped Gurm move and he had an extra three sets with integrated audio that came free from comcast when he moves and reconnects his service.

Heck with a little hunting I found a sturdy, high quality, 50' vga to component cable for my projector on the net for $20. NO signal loss and clean as you could want.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I just stick to Monoprice.com for all my cable needs...

Comment

Wow...that place is CHEAP!! $25 for a tilting large Plasma/LCD wall mount, $38-$48 for a tilt/swivel?

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 February 2008, 00:00.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have used monoprice.com too in the past.. great prices, a tad slow on the shipping, at least to Canada.
                          If you go to the AVS forum, monoprice is brought up every time there is a cable discussion
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

LOL - that's actually where I got my compontent-vga cable. I can tell you the quality is awesome for that cable. Glad to hear you guys have had good experiences with them too.

Comment

I got a cable pack from Costco. For $90 I got 2 HDMI, 2 component, digital coax, HDMI-to-DVI adapter and a bunch of other cables. All are 2 m cables, and work like a champ. The company who makes them is WireLogic, who just happens to the same sleeve style and construction as AudioQuest. Both of which are headquartered in the same city, so rumors abound that they really are just rebadged AudioQuest cables sold to Costco.

When you break it down, it costs about the same, or a little less, than buying from monoprice.com ... but you have to have a Costco membership to get them.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X