Looks like a mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like a mac

Looks like OSX but it's not. It's actually Ubuntu with mac4lin and some other goodies.
    So what did I get? The stiffy looks of OSX, with the stability and functionality of a well polished linux distro.
    Attached Files
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Linux is almost there for me as a primary OS. Honestly the primary negatives at this point are a lack of better integration between core applications and no true equivalent to Photoshop. That latter has become even less of an issue as utilities like WINE have improved.

I'm really tempted to make my next machine a Linux-based one (more than likely Ubuntu).
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
      Linux is almost there for me as a primary OS. Honestly the primary negatives at this point are a lack of better integration between core applications and no true equivalent to Photoshop. That latter has become even less of an issue as utilities like WINE have improved.

I'm really tempted to make my next machine a Linux-based one (more than likely Ubuntu).
      http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294

Showing off:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TransformX; 2 February 2008, 15:24.

Comment

We run Ubuntu on several systems, older laptops (makes 'em run much faster) and Ubuntu Server. If there were better multimedia and editing programs for Linux, as well as support from Adobe, it would be "Windows who?".
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It would be cool if all the mac wannabe people in Linux community would either admit that they don't have money for the Macs and stick with their Linux or they would just buy the damn Macs and stop being wannabes.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
            It would be cool if all the mac wannabe people in Linux community would either admit that they don't have money for the Macs and stick with their Linux or they would just buy the damn Macs and stop being wannabes.
            Lol, mac design is great. In any other way, it stinks.
            Lets see...
            • They use proprietary hardware yet they're less stable than most linux distros on generic hardware.
            • They use a BSD cocktail that is less functional or stable than FreeBSD.
            • They have less software.
            • Even with their fancy GUI, I still find myself working with the console to setup stuff (Mac OS-X 10.5 Leopard server) on the darn Mac. To make things worse, things are located in different places so that anyone with Lin/BSD know-how will never find them on instinct. Oh no, you have to search them around because Apple likes to be 'special'

How about apple sticks with design and leave the actual coding to more competent people?

Comment

Working...
            X