Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help !!!! :'''''''''''''((((((((((((( (please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help !!!! :'''''''''''''((((((((((((( (please)

Well First here is my system

Msi 6167 mobo bios rev 1.3
    Athlon 600
    128 mb pc 100 sd ram
    G400 DH 32mb (Irq 4)
    Ibm 8.3gb Udma33 HD (5400 rpm)
    Ibm 4.3gb U/Wide Scsi HD (SCSI ID 6 5400 rpm)
    Ibm 9.1gb Ultra2/LVD Scsi HD (SCSI ID 8 (7200 rpm)
    Plextor PlexWriter 4/12 (SCSI ID 1)
    Plextor Ultraplex40Max (SCSI ID 2)
    SbLive Value (Irq 5)
    3Com 905B Tx ethernet adapter (Irq 11)
    Tekram Dc390 U2W Scsi adapter (Irq 10)
    Usb port (Irq 11)
    Acpi (Irq 9)

I boot on the Ultra 2 disk, and here is my problem... i try a loooooooooooooooooooot of things... and i am stuck.... (sob :'(((()

When I first boot the Pc, it goes very very fast.. (every thing is correctly detected though) Win98 just start then freezes, in 3 way (i have said two on an other thread, but it's 3) It can just freeze and i have to push reset, or windows start screen is always active (i mean i see animation) but nothing appears i can light on and off the numlock led... and i can ctrl/alt/del but i can stay there for hours nothing change...
    and the third case, windows crashes with an error message, not being able (file not found or deleted) to load ntkern.vxd, or vmm32 or udf or kernel32.dll etc etc.. and even that my 2nd fat is corrupted ! but when i restart my comp.. everything is OKAY win starts up perfectly i have no PROBLEM !!!!

i have tried anything i could, last drivers, bios update etc etc... it's always the same shit (excuse me) i scan the disk with ndd no errors, i shut down my comp wait for a couple of minutes restart it, and boom have to reboot again... this phenomena doesn't seem to appear on win98 first edition.. but as (i find) that se is more fast than win98 gold.. i prefer it (and w98 gold has a problem with msi 6167 usb port - nothing detected on it) If someone could tell me what to do ? if i boot on the udma disk it's ok (but too slow) and so for the u/wide disk it's ok....

Please i just don't understand what's going on !!!!!

Thanks In advance !

Ken

Another thing i benched my u2w disk with Norton utils 4 :
    here is the result
    read caching 133mb/s
    write caching 116mb/s
    Physical read throughput 32 mb/s

I have a friend he got the same disk with a p3 500, 256 mb pc100, an asus p2bs and his results are :
    read caching 85mb/s
    write caching 80mb/s
    Physical read throughput 17 mb/s

my system goes nearly twice than his in physical bench... may my disk be defective ? give wrong information ? is it too fast for win se ?? (and i say i get no prob, for now) with w98 gold.....

If someone could help me....

Greebs can you test something similar for me ?

My u2 disk has this serial number
    DNES-309170W

Ken

Comment

Kenny[SP], Hmmm... Have you tried disabling the ACPI? I'd start there first. What d(r)ivers do you have installed for the MB and the scsi card? Have you installed Win98 sr1?

I have had a similar problem with the Promise Raid controller that did something similar. Reinstalling the drivers for the MB resolved the issue.

I couldn't help myself Jord... LOL

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 20 November 1999).]
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hi Kenny.

I have had simular problems. The thing that helped my was, uninstall my VIA:s busmastering drivers AND disable in BIOS "plug&pray aware OS". That busmastering from VIA is no good. It is stated on Plexis homepage.
        After that it goes like a rocket. Now i can use my Plexwriter too.
        I have W98SE and all latest drivers but use microsofts busmatering... It can help.

/Rimfaxe

Comment

I know this is not exactly to the point, but I used to get those 'ntkern.dll missing' errors (and Windows won't boot without ntkern and/or vmm32 vxds )... when I was using Windows 95 OSR2 and the USB supplement, trying to get my AGP card working (you have to install USBsupp.exe to implement AGP... for whatever reason).

So I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the AGP or USB drivers... but here's my idea for a fast and dirty fix.[list=1][*]Get your Windows98 CD (not needed if you copied the Win98 folder to your HDD)[*]Open up the System Information Tool and open the System File checker in the 'Tools' menu.[*]choose "Extract one file from installation disk" and browse to C:\windows\system\vmm32\ntkern.vxd for ntkern, c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd and C:\windows\system\ntkern.vxd (I have instances of this file in both the "System" folder and the "System\Vmm32" folder). So that's 3 extractions.[/list=a]

Maybe the files just got corrupted and need to be reinstalled...?

------------------
          Holly

Comment

Well i have disabled ACPI, my g400 is using irq4 because i f*cked up (oops) com1 port, because of that annyoing bug regarding irq 12 not being released free when nothing is used on the ps/2 mouse port...

So i have disabled acpi, i was using lastest busmastering driver (1.21, or 1.22) and even using the default MS one it goes the same.. i updated almost everything only cdrom firmware were not updated... (and that's what i am gonna do..) i am using lastest bios for everything and so for my peripherals.... i thought that my disk was booting too fast so i put the ultra2 bandwith size to 40 mb/ idem, i installed norton antivirus 5 (with latest virus update) so my boot will last longer... it does the same.....

I made some modification to my windows, i hate this scanreg that restores itself every time i do not want... so i renamed the dos version and killed the sysbackup folder...

It seems too me that every time i get an error message it is related to network
            - udf missing
            - vmm32.vxd
            - ntkern.vxd
            btw, it never points to my ethernet card drivers so i may be wrong.

as i said before it seems not to be a problem under win98 gold, but as the usb port does not work properly i would wait a little to kill all and start over... !

Thanks guy !
            hmmm greebe what is that SR1 ? is it not released only for win98 gold ? (gonna surf now..)

Ken

Comment

try this,

disable power management (free up irq 9) usb works fine for me but you have to do this or email ms for the fix they are going to incorparate into the next sp for windows 98.

manuley change irq 12 to legacy isa and turn off pnp os installed. turn on your com ports back on. so they use irq 3 and 4 forceing your video to use something else. (you may have to play card shuffle to move to stop irq shareing. usb uses irq 5 and ide is on 14.

i use the following slots (agp used)(1 empty) (2 used) (3 empty) (4 used) (5 empty). (isa 1 and 2 empty) (video uses irq9) (nic 10) (sound 11) (com ports 1 andd 2 on irq3,4)i have a usb mouse in use. irq 12 is redirected to legasy isa no devices are shareing i did find that my iomega zip plus drive when turned on slows my boot time to 3 min or so, dont know why it has to be a driver/win 98 problem if i turn the drive off or remove the iomega driver, my system boots in under 1 min.

------------------
              my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,5x cldvd region free, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
              it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

hello )))))))))
                well.. i did turn off my usb port.. and my system crashed 2-3 times again but now.. it's ok it goes well, no lockup on startup no nothing.... i just don't know if this is really the usb port... for now this is not a problem... btw i will wait till w2000 is out, and maybe go for a multiboot.....

thank you guys !

Comment

Working...
                X