UPS with shutdown signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS with shutdown signal?

Any recommendations for a SOHO UPS that will shutdown more than one PC?

I've had two power cuts this morning and we've blown the trip a couple of times lately (faulty kettle, now replaced). So far I've got off lightly.

I just want something that will allow a minute or two for safe shutdown, preferably signalling more than one PC, but I'll live without that if I have to.

TIA.
    FT.

My MGE ups's can shut down one machine, I have no idea if they do versions to shut down many pc's, but i expect they would expensive.

it seems they are also responsible for the APC UPS's as well...

I have an 800VA one that will do my Pentium D highly overclocked, so it should do a core2quad no probs...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I just need a decent UPS and some s/w like this: http://www.networkupstools.org/features/

The 'advanced' diagram is what I (will) have.
      FT.

Comment

Looks good.

I'm running an extension with 3 extra plugs on the UPS, so i can also run my via epia server and the HDD rack and the PC. I also have the switch, and an LCD panel.

Not much, just have to remember not to plug the vacuum cleaner into it
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The general rule of thumb is using software on the the computer that has the data cable to the UPS. Then agents on all the other systems needed. I'm only familiar with APC's software but I don't see any reason why the software from that link wouldn't work. If it can handle software from 79 different manufacturers they probably know what they are doing.

As for how much juice you need. Try a calculator like this: http://www.csgnetwork.com/upssizecalc.html
          I know you really only want/need a minute of uptime for shutdown. However, if the unit you buy isn't able to handle the draw that all you're equipment uses you'll trust trip its internal breaker and never even get to use the battery. Having said that I've had a standard 550 VA UPS handle two standard computers and an LCD without trouble. Throw a CRT into the mix, especially a 19 or 21", and you have a different story. I've woken up screens just so I could manually shut a computer down and the sudden juice draw kills the whole system (thus defeating the purpose).
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I did this for my Management Server at home without using any super fancy tools (other than the APC power software which came with the UPS...)

When the UPS Service logs an "Off Mains Power" event, you can have it call a script...which I did.

The Management Server immediately broadcasts an alert to all Machines (using the Messenger Service) and begins monitoring the UPS power state every 30 seconds.

When the power capacity drops to 33% the Management Server starts sending shutdown commands to non-essential devices in a pre-determined order (I have it shutdown the Media Server, Print Server, the File Server and all low priority workstations).

When the 25% power mark is reached, it sends a shutdown command to critical devices: The Domain Controller, the Smoothwall and the Access Points are all Shutdown, leaving only itself as the "Last Man Standing". When UPS power hits 5% reserves, the Management Server will shutdown itself after bleating out an SMS Text Message to my Cell Phone: (We're dead! We're Dead!! We're Dead!!!).

If mains power comes back at any time, the script will wait 15 minutes before stopping it's built-in UPS poller to make sure power is stable before terminating itself. After the 15 minute wait period, if any machines have been sent a shutdown command, they will received a shutdown abort command, and also receive a Wakeup Magic Packet (I'm working on integrating Intel's vPro AMT commander into this as well).
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan View Post
              SMS Text Message to my Cell Phone: (We're dead! We're Dead!! We're Dead!!!)..
              ever got than one?

mfg
              wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Over the dialup modem, yes!
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I had a server with uptime above 8 months without UPS (it was just home fileserver, so nothing mission crytical), then I shut it down to vacuum the dust.

You must have bad power if you need UPS for home use.

Otherwise for SMS there might be free online services and Skype also allows for SMS provided you have Credits.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    I had a server with uptime above 8 months (..) then I shut it down to vacuum the dust.
                    you must have an amazingly small dust problem.

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure: I've seen several instances of freak power fluctuations killing an entire site. Besides, I like tinkering with little projects like this one... scripting is free: it keeps me from spending money on new hardware...(Well, maybe not as much hardware...)

I think I mentioned in some other thread that my subdivision has a history of erratic power due to our proximity to several larger businesses and schools; the UPS monitor system was created to keep a measure of safety for the home infrastructure: The system has only been used once to it's fullest... an Ice Storm last winter resulted in a power outage which lasted about 36 hours; The Management server lasted until the 8th. Hour of the outage before it shutdown (drawing a mere 21W/Hr...).

There are a couple of tricks up my sleeve for Summer: running computers for a long time when the indoor temperature is too high can be just as disasterous. Running all of my gear in 100 degree Ambient (outside) weather is also not very "green". I'm currently working in that direction (Usage based on Indoor/Outdoor temperatures/ Peak Power usage times)...

Comment

Fascinating stuff there MMM.

I've gone for a 2000VA unit with AVR, USB and an informative front panel. It has s/w for XP & 2k3. Should let me protect all 3 machines in my home office and connect the network and panels so I can see what I'm doing. I only have the server running for dev work so don't need remote notification etc.
                        Last edited by Fat Tone; 4 February 2008, 04:59. Reason: typo
                        FT.

Comment

21W/hr? The power management server something low end? Though without a screen and sleeping drives it can sip the juice.
                          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
                            you must have an amazingly small dust problem.

mfg
                            wulfman
                            I mean the dust from the case, vacuum/blow out with the vacuum cleaner from the case and case fans.

Comment

The management Server is a VIA VT310-DP (Dual Epia 1GHz with 2GB of RAM...).

Comment

Working...
                              X