690G SATA Weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 690G SATA Weirdness

A quick Google hasn't turned up any suggestions so I'll see if you guys have heard of anything or have any suggestions....

On both my new machine and my HTPC (although the HTPC suffers from the problem less frequently) Vista keep 'losing' non-system SATA devices after coming out of S3 standby.

Sometimes the hard drive just loses its drive letter but the SATA DVD drives on both machines utterly disappear until the system has had a hard reset (sometimes they come back after a soft reset but the only surefire way is to switch the machine off completely and restart it).

Both machines are running the AMD 690G chipset with a couple of different versions of Vista. I've scoured the AMD support site for patches or updated drivers or something with no success.

As I write this I am struck with the idea that this is possibly related to the problem of drives not beeing recogised because they take too log to spin up when a machine boots and that possibly there will be a delay value in the BIOS that might let me solve the problem..

Any other suggestions?

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Hmm. Nothing in the BIOS that I can see to add a delay when initialising drives. That's annoying.

Uberlad

Comment

is the anything in the control panel\system\hardware etc that says optimise for removal. (eg check box) either on the drive or maybe the sata controller entry?

Comment

Nope. Windows sees the drive as a SCSI disk drive but does at least know that it is fixed so it doesn't give me the choice of 'Optimise for Quick Removal'. I could enable advanced performance but I don't think it would help.

Seeing it start from S3 just now it is pretty obvious that the DVD drive wakes up after the hard drives start chugging - I think I'm going to have to complain to the motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) and see if there is a deeply hidden option in the BIOS that will increase the drive spin up delay when restoring from S3.

Uberlad

Comment

You do know about pressing control F1 in the gigabyte bios to access the "expert features"?

Comment

Yep. I can jiggle the memory to my hearts content but no sign of drive spin up timing.

Possibly hibernating will work properly with the new BIOS.....

EDIT - /me kicks self. I'd managed to miss the line in the BIOS the last two times I checked the advanced options. Time to test S3 sleep.....

Uberlad
            Last edited by uberlad; 31 January 2008, 16:11.

Comment

Nope - doesn't look like it checks the drive spin up times when coming back from S3. Curses.

Uberlad

Comment

And S1 suffers the same problem. Maybe I should try installing a test XP to see if it's a Windows thing that might be fixed in SP1

Uberlad

Comment

If this was Nvidia an IDE I'd tell you to try and use default IDE drivers instead of nforce. However... have you tried older revisions of the drivers?

It might be a hardware issue or it could just be funky Vista install issues (or vista problems in general, but has your googling shown any one else having this problem? it seems not)

Other options... do you have another harddrive you could use as a primary with Vista just to see if it behaves and it's a bad install? You can also try running the system file checker "sfc /scannow" from the search/run or command prompt (it will want the install cd or local copy).

I
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Could be worth a go. Although there only seems to be a single package of southbridge drivers available from AMD so I'd have to grab some old ones and see what drivers it actualy contains.

As the SATA is set to AHCI in the BIOS that might be a problem for the DVD drive - I imagine that setting it to IDE and trying to reboot is going to cause Windows to have a fit.

As AHCI technically allows hot plugging of devices I could just rig up the power cable for the DVD drive to a switch and switch the drive off and on again when it disappears. that doesn't sound dangerous at all.

I'm pretty much reduced to flailing about in the dark at this point. I suppose I could try a liveCD of linux that supports S3 sleep and isolate the hardware as a potential problem that way.....

Uberlad

Comment

Aha! Switching the motherboard SATA mode back to IDE has fixed it. Obviously the DVD drive doesn't support AHCI spin down commands or something.

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
                      X