Got My 35mm Slides Digitally Scanned For Future Video Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got My 35mm Slides Digitally Scanned For Future Video Projects

My siblings and I grew up trout fishing out here in the Rocky Mountain region of the United States. Naturally, I took a lot of pictures of us with my old Vivitar 35mm camera. I used slide film.

Well, it's now thirty (30) years into the future and I looked at that huge box filled with slide trays and I thought I would get them scanned professionally. It's not that I don't have a professional slide scanner. I do. I have a fairly expensive Minolta slide scanner. But it's so terribly slow and there's no software included to remove the dust on the surface of the slides.

So I did some Web surfing and found CJS Technologies in Iowa:

Today, the slides they scanned arrived by mail and I am so pleased. They used a very high-end Nikon scanner. The resolution is amazing. But even more amazing to me is the fact that the dust on the surface of the slides does not appear in the digital scans. By gosh, that Nikon software is amazing! The price seemed quite fair, too.

I'm so glad I didn't try scanning those hundreds of slides by myself here at home.

My next project will be the 8mm and Super 8mm films. This CJS Technologies company has some method where they scan each frame of the film... one frame at a time. So I'll be interested to see how well that works. If it turns out as well as the 35mm slides, I'll be pretty happy.

For now, I plan to take these high resolution scans and make DVDs that will play in DVD players. CJS can do that, too, and make a big production -- but I have all the software I need to do all of that. My family and I are pretty close so this was an important milestone for us. I thought I'd pass along the positive experience. If you have boxes and boxes of 35mm slides and you've been thinking about doing the same thing, you'll be pretty happy if you follow through.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!
Working...
X